Boardsort.com

Your complete E-scrap resource website. LEARN - SELL - PROFIT
It is currently Mon May 28, 2018 1:11 am

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 5:03 am 

I don't normally post on here unless I notice some error, or I need to chime in with a helpful hint or suggestion....
I've been killing a lot of time reading through older posts on here and watching youtube scrappers speak about local scrap yard prices for normal stuff (mostly people from Illinois for some reason....lots of youtube scrappers there I guess). By normal stuff, I mean light iron, steel, clean aluminum, brass, etc.
I'm blown away, when at the end of said segment/post, light iron in DeKalb is .05/lb!? Insulated wire .25/lb?!
I don't know about the rest of you out there, and this is for my own curiousity only, but I'm interested to know what local yards are generally paying for stuff in your particular area.
Maybe I'm an anomaly, or maybe those prices from DeKalb are an anomaly, but wow, that sucks.
Disclaimer: I don't mean for this to, in any way, harm Boardsort. This is merely for my own amusement. I'd like to know, just for fun, what your yards are paying. For boardsorts sake, exclude pricing for e-waste (if your yards pay for it) so as to not disparage the forum.
As of today in Albany, NY:
light iron- .10/lb
short steel-.14/lb
clean brass-1.70/lb
clean aluminum-.52/lb (doesn't matter if its cast, sheet, etc..)
copper #2- 2.47/lb
insulated copper wire (ends removed)- .75/lb

Lostinlodos- is this ok? if this is inappropriate, please let me know. This is merely for curiousities sake only. I think this could be a helpful tool, possibly a new forum topic, for those traveling intrastate or for those that live relatively close to a particular locale and have no idea of the pricing. The iscrap app is no good in this area (and it isn't updated regularly, at least in this area)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 2:34 pm 

Quote:
mostly people from Illinois for some reason

Some of the nation’s and even the world’s largest scrap yards are located on the outskirts of Chicago. In Illinois and north West Indiana.

What you see in this area is a set of bizarre anomalies.
When you go to the big yards who are at the top of the migration chain (like Boardsort is for escrap) the prices are as high as they get.
These yards also have many more classes for each material. Cozzi has many dozens of classes for steel. Each with three or four grades.
So 50 miles west in Dkl they’re shipping this stuff by truck and rail into Chicago to these big companies who are paying them current rates on the day of arrival. Which may be higher or lower than the day of shipping.

These yards on the far outskirts also aren’t sorting the way the big ones are. Steel/iron is a blanket grade.
When a trailer of steel shows up at Cozzi it is dumped and sorted by hand into those many sub classes.
So dkl is paying say 4 cents. Cozzi is then sorting that tonnage into 1/2 cent - 50 cent classes and grades.
They have literal miles of land to do so. And it’s interesting to look at from above say maps or a helo photo.

Now the other thing to look at is volume. If you show up with 500 lbs of mixed but sorted “steel” you’ll get a single ‘sorted’ rate per grade. Eg #1-#4.
If you show up with a ton of iron, a ton of #2 lt Ni-fe-ar and a ton of icn you’re going to get much higher rates.
Many of these YouTube posts are discussing the rate for 20 lbs of junk cases with paint and plastic and other issues. And they get a public price for it.
Public steel right now as Cozzi, last week, was .01 .03, .06, and .09 for mixed sheet/shred steel based on #1-#4
Untreated Steel flashing would get you #1.
A painted computer case with tray mounts would be #2
Leave the plastic and a few fans inside it slides to #3
Forgot that cd rom or couldn’t get that cast drive bay out? #4
Because someone else has to do it now.

Iscrap is a mixed bag. In the past I pushed them hard. But another Boardsort user here was also an iscrapper and got canned from the site after posting a correction to a flat out wrong statement on the site by an employee.
Combined with what I’ve pointed out before; iscrap is great for finding yards and the public reports of prices are usually reliable, the posts of pricing by the company itself are to be taken with a grain of salt. Or a salt block.
They’re almost all wrong. (100% fail for every yard within 20 miles of the Chicago loop). I actually did a day on the phone from 6am-530 pm to verify an iscrap users post there).
That’s not necessarily the fault of the company behind the app, the response I received was it’s up to the companies to post “accurate” information...! :(

If you’re in the Great Lakes area I’ve pointed everyone to the same two places for decades. Cozzi for anything that’s metal or a transition metal.
ABCO, family owned and operated, for non ferromagnetic metals only. Especially precious metals and rare earths like you find in escrap.

I will randomly try others for small amounts. Some pay more on this or that. But I’ve yet to find any that match the service and reachability of these two. I’ll take the honesty and reliability over a one off price jump any day.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 4:58 pm 

Lostinlodos,

I will add commentary a little later, as this topic intrigues me. But for now, I have a two year old to deal with....
More TBD

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:18 pm 

i have no problem sharing this but rather than give you the 6 or so yards around my area ill give you the price sheet of where all scrap expect for 2 yards end up the other prices will be about 2-6 cents lower at those 2 yards....{unless you are a leagacy scrappper. buddies with them or a member of there groups.ectc.}

Attachments:
MaxthonSnap20180430115443.png
MaxthonSnap20180430115443.png [ 383.71 KiB | Viewed 312 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:22 pm 

That’s very close to what Cozzi is. Little higher or little lower in a few classes. But in general.
And you’re right on going to the top. The higher up the chain you go the better the rates are.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 1:14 pm 

well you would think that but it is realy dependent on if i have to get the tow truck or the big truck then gas/milage/traffic/city comes in to play and what im haulling also matters cause sometimes it isnt cost effective to haul stuff to mid kc when im down the street from a differnt yard

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 2:08 am 

Sorry for the delay in getting this out there. I appreciate the feedback greatly. You'll have to excuse my rather general rant the other night. I work third shift at GE as a Research Scientist and we are working on a new batch of RTV for a very important customer... so needless to say I get a little burnt out at 4 am.

Glossing over the part about how I've been scrapping in one form or another since I was a kid, I generally understand how scrap yards operate (as the middle man between the general public, aka people with raw material, and those downstream who want said raw material). We are lucky here, in that some of the major players are also here. I'm not surprised that Chicago has major players like those found in NYC. Looking at your post Lostinlodos, and looking at the price sheet from Evilrick (Kansas City) I'm relieved to see that the prices reflected are generally on par with what I'm used to seeing.

There are smaller yards, generally in more rural areas, that pay significantly less (sometimes less than 50%) than the big yards. They are literally just flipping scrap to these yards for a quick turnaround, as you mentioned.
That being said, this proves my hypothesis that these Youtubers and authors of the aforementioned posts must have been selling to these yards, probably out of necessity.

I'll see, if during my next trip to the yard, I can get a physical price list for you guys, if you're interested.
It's interesting to mention that yards here typically pay via scrap in metric ton vs. a regular 2000 lb ton. Do either of you see this in your area?

ABCO/Cozzi do not exist here, but we do have the largest privately owned yard in the eat coast, Ben Weitsman (a guy with a very interesting back story), and the normal players like Sims.

Thanks again guys. I'm glad not everybody is being ripped off!

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 2:28 am 

I almost for to mention..

Just for fun, Ben Weitsman, the yard that pays the best for light iron/steel, are rather indiscriminate about what goes into the light iron (or "tin", although I hate that) pile.

You can throw in your Chinese patio furniture, you're stripped out computer cases, ac units (drained of Freon or not... I don't personally mess with these and don't condone scrapping them with the Freon still inside, but that's a different topic) but also vacuum cleaners with the plastic still intact. There isn't a deduction for the plastic, or for painted material, for that matter, it's all closing in on .11/lb at the moment.

Again, I don't condone plastic being thrown into the pile, or Freon into the atmosphere for that matter, just an interesting observation. It also isn't terribly uncommon to see #2 copper pipe or electric motors in the light iron pile, but I would just chalk that up to lack of scrapping knowledge.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 2:23 pm 

First, a minor note. ABCO is tiny. My suggestion of them always is for the honesty. They’re a little below most and don’t take steel or plastics at all. But, they’re honest. Brutally so. Rather than take your bucket of AL as a #4 junk bin they’ll hand it back and say go sort it. Think you have thin aluminium in those fins on your general AC? Nope. But for a pm buyer, be it computer gold or dental scrap or jewellery; it’s really the safest and most honest exchange you’ll get in the area.

The British weights in New York date back to colonial trade. The industry just never changed weights there.
Sounds like they are selling to a block melter. Where if not in the us (China, Africa etc) they can legally just toss anything into the blast bowl and forget it. It becomes a carbon byproduct known as slag, which is itself valuable in bulk.
Economically there’s nothing wrong with that if the supply chain is set up for it.
Morally I have some issues there though. ABC, BPS, PVC...! Not stuff I really want in the atmosphere. And I’m not one of those global warming end of the wold people either. I smoke! And I still don’t want that stuff in the air. :(

Some yards sort so much even my extreme (ask Chris) sorting isn’t ever quite enough.othera are a bit of a joke. One class for each metal period.