Welcome to Boardsortâ„¢ - Learn - Sell - Profit -

Learn to properly Sort, Sell, and Profit from your electronic scrap material.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:11 pm

Post subject: HDD Logic Board Yield
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 12:14 pm 

Hi Guys,
Does anybody have analysis report of HD Logic Board? past or present, how much gold and other metals can possibly be recovered. I have huge pile with me and i am trying to find out should i extract the metal by my self or just sell off the whole lot.

Thx

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 6:22 pm 

My honest opinion is to sell to Boardsort. Having harmful chemicals at your house, not having a proper lab and not being a chemist by trade is a recipe for disaster and you can get in trouble with your local enviromental agencies. If you have an accident you could burn yourself easily. Your neighbors and friends may even think you have a meth lab and you may get frequent visits from the police. The way you would extract precious metals in your own garage wouldn't be as efficient as these companies with the proper infrastructure to process metals.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:38 pm 

I agree with 602bridgeway. I worked some 20 years in the industry. If you want to attempt to recover the gold chemically, you've got two options: a mixture of two very powerful and fuming acids, or a heavy solution of a specifically blended potassium cyanide. Both are only Step 1 in a longer process that involves some expensive gear if you want to do it right. They also generate an appreciable amount of hazardous waste.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 11:54 pm 

...on a further note...

Some years ago, while working in a REAL analytical chemistry lab with ALL the proper gear, I did a test run of the aqua regia method, very similar to this one here http://www.goldnscrap.com/index.php/scrap-cpu-a-chips/91-gold-recovery-process-from-ceramic-cpus-part-1, and verified my results. I must say that it does work, and rather nicely at that. But even with 20 years of lab experience, it is not something that I would attempt at home.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 10:47 am 

Meth Lab, LOLZ! i agree i wont extract it , if it is this harmful.
But i wanted to know how much gold or other precious metal can be recovered. Japanese Smelter is paying better that BoardSort.com Here is $9.25 but Japs are going up to $11, Also from where i can perform the analysis of Logic boards or Eassay Report. Should i go to SGS or Beta Analytic.
If i have these i can negotiate better. I have total of 8000 Lbs at the moment with me.

Cheers

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 10:23 am 

Use The Pyro Smelters if you want to refine and sell at higher prices, Do not use smelters which use Kaldo process of Smelting.