Welcome to Boardsortâ„¢ - Learn - Sell - Profit -

Learn to properly Sort, Sell, and Profit from your electronic scrap material.
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:41 pm

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 10:57 am 

I get a bunch of gold and silver plated items such as jewelry, pens, candlesticks, dinnerware and such. The gold and silver places won't buy them because they are not solid. They tell me they are worthless. I am sure that is true to them. I could sell them for brass or whatever the underlay metal is but I would have to identify that first. I would rather sell them for the silver and gold price. Does boardsort accept these types of items?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 11:58 am 
Reputable Seller

Not very likely. What you can do is if you are familiar with the chemicals and the processes for metal recovery, you can refine the gold and silver yourself.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 1:45 pm 

I'm familiar with the process but like all other things related to scrap, bulk is where its at. There's no money in refining in small quantities. I just had a hard time understanding why its profitable to remove tiny amounts of gold or silver from RAM chips but not from jewelry or other such plated items. I would think you would just throw them in with the rest and get out some decent copper, brass, and nickel metals as well.