Welcome to Boardsort™ - Learn - Sell - Profit -

Learn to properly Sort, Sell, and Profit from your electronic scrap material.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:10 am

Post subject: Re: Hard drives
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:11 pm 
Site Admin

A metallic plastic glue in most cases. If it’s goo like, like terrible forgotten motor oil, it may be a nickel abs polymer. Gummy like tree sap is normally He-psb and tin or carbon.
Long stringy sticky like super strong strong cheese is PSP-FeO

If it’s like the Blob, some sort of gelatinous jello stuff, it was a vacuum sealed air tight gas filled drive. The jello material depends on the gas used. All are a thermal paste of some sort and all have tiny traces of silver in them.
The heavier base (alkaline) gases (very high ph ratings) have more silver in the paste than inert gasses hike helium which are nothing more in the gel than styrene and tin with a trace of silver for bonding more than dissipation.
Regardless of the material used and the gas in the case, chances are it’s rating won’t be higher than 10 or 11 but this is where gloves come in handy. 11 won’t burn you like a 13 or 14 can but at 11 you’re looking at irritation, possibilities of a contact skin rash. 10 will ich like hell but any rash is probably your own fault for constantly scratching. I hear from a medic once of a tech who contacted NH2FO2 (a ph9 used in semi-viscous coolant) and scratched through his are beyond the skin before calling for an ambo so do use gloves and don’t play with funky stuff. Lol.

Btw an 8 fluid ounce tube of Artic Silver contains $1.25+- of silver. It’s not worth saving this stuff unless you’re going to have lots of it; lots being enough to entice a refinery AND cover the FedEx/UPS hazmat fees for transport and come out on top.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:46 am 

Thanks for the reply, my husband and I were wondering to know if where we were putting into was the right class of materials. I have never cut one open and did not intend to as I have no idea what is there and did not want to bust into anything and get a reaction from the contents. So we will keep putting it as dirty sheet or or stainless, we kinda figured that was good, but we never knew what was actually in the middle.
Thanks for all the info Lost, as usual you are a great help.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:10 pm 
Site Admin

Since I side tracked my train of thought...
Btw...
Different gases have different expansion properties under heat. Hence different materials in the sealed glue pockets. Using the wrong material between the layers, in the case of all drives, could lead to the two ply layer splitting. Changing the heating properties of the entire drive and leading to Permanent failure. In the cases of extreme speed drives like 15000 rpm or 18000rpm catastrophic failure is possible leading to external destruction of equipment.
So the materials tend to be rather consistent across venders.