Welcome to Boardsortâ„¢ - Learn - Sell - Profit -

Learn to properly Sort, Sell, and Profit from your electronic scrap material.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:59 am

Post subject: Knit picking
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:25 pm 

Do any of these things have a value of there own?

Attachments:
IMG_0907.JPG
IMG_0907.JPG [ 1.17 MiB | Viewed 8977 times ]
IMG_0906.JPG
IMG_0906.JPG [ 1.19 MiB | Viewed 8977 times ]
IMG_0905.JPG
IMG_0905.JPG [ 1.11 MiB | Viewed 8977 times ]
IMG_0904.JPG
IMG_0904.JPG [ 1.43 MiB | Viewed 8977 times ]

Post subject: Re: Knit picking
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:41 pm 
Reputable Seller

No. Only capacitors I would remove would be those known to contain tantalum, which is a rare metal used in more sophisticated electronics such as telecom gear.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:55 pm 

thanks for the tip.

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 8:01 pm 

kgryczan wrote:
No. Only capacitors I would remove would be those known to contain tantalum, which is a rare metal used in more sophisticated electronics such as telecom gear.

so where do you sell the capacitors with the tantalum ? AND what's market price on them?

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 2:09 pm 

Some "name brand" capacitors sell very well on ebay. The only reason I know is that I seen a video on youtube about scrapping televisions and some guy in the comments asked if he could get all the "rubycon" capacitors the author of the video could get.

I have sold a few on ebay and they go from $1 - $15 each depending on the size of the capacitor. I assume there are other "named" capacitors out there that sell in a similar way.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:32 am 

tjmetalrecyclers wrote:
kgryczan wrote:

so where do you sell the capacitors with the tantalum ? AND what's market price on them?

Currently the market price ranges from $20 per pound to $75 per pound for ones with silver ( not color but Ag) casing. However, it is a very long road to collect just one pound of even epoxy coated( probably the heaviest) tantalum caps unless you have access to NOS, discontinued or similar avenues. For buyers I would Google "sell tantalum capacitor scrap".

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:07 am 

Im kind of in the same situation. There are some places that will buy them in small quantities for like $20 lbs and up but realistically unless you run across this stuff in somewhat moderate amounts then it would really just be an academic exercise. A more pragmatic approach might be to just save what you can in hope that the prices will spike in a few years or more. Then there's the problem of actually removing them. From my standpoint its either pull them off one by one which is time consuming and tedious or use the brute force hammer and chisel method which takes off just about everything around it and if you're like me you're going smash at least 2 or 3 knuckles in the process or even worse. And lastly there's the daunting task of actually identifying tantalum capacitors. They come in so many varieties it takes a while to know what is what. You might be collecting non-tantalums. So what I've learned is just look past most tantalum's unless they are somewhat densly populated or moderately sized