Welcome to Boardsort™ - Learn - Sell - Profit -

Learn to properly Sort, Sell, and Profit from your electronic scrap material.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:58 pm

Post subject: Peripheral only?
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 2:51 pm 

Hi,

Just wanted to see where this board would fall with all the IC chips intact. If it is still only peripheral, then I should be able to pull the chips and keep it peripheral?

Attachments:
FullSizeRender(16).jpg
FullSizeRender(16).jpg [ 1.99 MiB | Viewed 9080 times ]

Post subject: Re: Peripheral only?
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 4:08 pm 
Site Admin

Yep, peripheral
Pull those two ICs out and you'll have: peripheral. Plus ICs

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:38 am 

Here we go again, I count 15 ICC's and 2 Flat Packs.

So, am I correct in assuming that the FP's are what you are classifying as ICC's?

If that's the case, where does the remaining 15 items with legs on only two sides fit in or do they have no value at broadsort as individual items?

Gotta say, that board is loaded with goodies! I would definitely depopulate it and sell off the components. Tantalum Caps, MCC's, Crystals, FP's, ICC's. What did that board come out of?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:37 am 
Site Admin

It's also full of heavy stuff of little value, on an older less valuable polymer board.
If you took the time to dissect it properly there's some extra value there. No disagreement there.
However we're not tGRF here and most people here aren't looking to self refine things.
For boardsort it's all about the laws of averages In making classes. And consistency in sticking to them.
Which is what any scrap yard does. If you make an exception for this or that the categories go out the window very fast.

We have quite a few users here that use other sites too, where I'm also a member, moderator, admin etc. Some use tGRF. Where I'm not active enough to keep an account.
Others use iScrap or the private Sunshine Recovery. Where I'd be happy to walk you through a total dissection.
This isn't the place for that stuff in general.
When there's a major offset one of the users will usually point it out. This board isn't one of those cases. Even if you milled it and refined it you'd find the totals in value still working out to around $1.50-$2.50 per lb on this stuff. And that's not accounting for the materials and energy costs you'd be loosing.

Self refining is one thing but I push as hard as I can away from gold buyers due to my own, well documented, personal issue with it I've gone to a lot of trouble to a) tell the standard user to be very careful in selling to refineries, and b) not get your hopes up
The number of legitimate refineries that will deal with joe and Jain public is very very very small. The Cash for gold industry is borderline illegal and is heavily litigated. The cash for escrap gold search I just did gave me just 6 legitimate companies in 50 results. 7 companies currently being sued, 1 company up at the top I'm currently fighting with, and one run by a person who was run off of boardsort and tGRF.
Hope that puts the standings here in perspective.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:39 am 
Site Admin

This board is full of plastic, a fair bit of steel, some glass, lots of aluminium, and boardsort neither gets paid for, nor considers, tantalum in pricing. The waste weight to value here is extensive.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:51 am 

lostinlodos, I fully understand where you are coming from and I get the point that Broadsort is in business to make money and understand that MB's are a large part of their business. It only makes sense that they would discourage any de-population of those MB's.

The best way to accomplish this is to not buy some of the components that would encourage "cherry picking" a MB. I figure that's why they the only component they buy as a ICC is a flat pack. I get that.

I first looked at Broadsort a few years back and still have one of their old price lists. Back then they purchased gold pins but that item is no longer on their buy list. There are several other items that no longer show up on their list anymore, but that's just business.

As far as gold refining, I am really trying to no longer home refine. I don't like the chemicals and it really is very time consuming. I was hoping to start selling off some of the piles of components I have collected to some escrap buyer instead of refining them myself.

As far as other sites are concerned, you mentioned iScrap. I am a moderator for iScrap but not an employee. I just help Virginia with the forums and answer some questions now and then.

I can see from your last reply that you seem to be a little irritated with me right now. Sorry, did not mean to get under your skin and do apologize if I have done something to set you off. Not my intent. All I was really trying to do was get some clarity as to what Broadsort considers to be an ICC. I've asked the question several different ways and still have not received a defining, firm answer.

You have replied but to my posts but have not given me a direct answer, at least not that I can see. I understand your "post a picture" comment but if flat packs are the only component Broadsort purchases as ICC's then that's all you had to tell me and case closed. Pictures become irrelevant once the question is answered.

Anyway, sorry if I upset you in any way and i promise I'll be a "good boy" for now.

Have a great day!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:18 pm 
Site Admin

No irritation at all. Lol
Hang in there a bit I'm typing only at our long redlights.
No they buy much more as ICs.
I think I'm going to have to post a set of photos but just about any integrated circuit that doesn't fall into another category goes in ICs.
And thanks for keeping iScrap running. I've been pushing it for a while now as one of the best tools for scrappers. I'll get photos posted for ICs as soon as I can and hopefully some point today.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:53 pm 

Darksky... I think you are trying to define your chips too much... boardsort treats them as a "generic" integrated circuit. They take all the chips with two sides of leads and four sides of leads as "ic chips" regardless of age. the exception is if they have gold caps (which are generally 80x86 chips.

All those chips on that board will go as ic chips.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:45 pm 

mls26cwru, Thank You!

That's what I have been looking for, just a basic description of what they accept as ICC's. Now I got it, don't need any pictures

Thanks again!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:32 pm 

Thank you guys. The nice thing when the more techno guys have discussions we with lesser knowledge get an nice education. There are abbreviations being used that sometimes make me think about what part we are dealing with and what the full term is. This discussion gave me ic (integrated circuit) though I had a good idea what it was and this discussion was very informative, again thank you. Sometimes I kinda wish for a list of abbreviations to help for a better understanding of what is being said and it may help other newbies though I have been following this site for several years I still feel like a newbie in part.