Welcome to Boardsortâ„¢ - Learn - Sell - Profit -

Learn to properly Sort, Sell, and Profit from your electronic scrap material.
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:05 pm

Post subject: Gold Pins
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 7:04 pm 

I have several (large socket??) boards from the 80's and other boards with pins on the end with what looks like gold pins in them. Are they? And should I remove them and send them in separately before sending in the boards? Thank you!

Attachments:
IMG_2714.JPG
IMG_2714.JPG [ 2.4 MiB | Viewed 3881 times ]
IMG_2715b.jpg
IMG_2715b.jpg [ 2.51 MiB | Viewed 3881 times ]

Post subject: Re: Gold Pins
PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:34 am 

depends how much time you have...

in short, the yield from those pins are low, and the effort to get them will take a while... or are you ding it to try to refine the gold by youself? only you can tell if it is worth your time or not.

I used to harvest the pins, but i found that it ultimatly was not worth the time for what little i was getting in return. I made more by trying to find the next load of computer scrap then the couple pennies I was making spending a couple hours harvesting pins... thats just my two cents though :)

As it is, the top pic is backpland expansion slot classification. If you take the pins off, you will down grade the board drastically... i would leave it just like that and move on.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:21 pm 

The first photo is a BackPlain which pays pretty well as is.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 4:02 am 

Thank you both so much! This afternoon before I saw your posts I took a couple boars apart and I agree, it does not seem worth it. Even taking the copper off doesn't seem worth it. I am still considering taking the copper off just because of the cost of shipping it. How do you feel about copper on boards and cutting off gold pins? Thanks again for your help!!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:28 am 

i live close to boardsort and have never had to worry about shipping costs. you have to do the numbers yourself, but i would imagine that if you can clip the copper off and sell it to your local junkyard, it might very well be worth it to save on the shipping and/or allow you more space to send more in.