Welcome to Boardsortâ„¢ - Learn - Sell - Profit -

Learn to properly Sort, Sell, and Profit from your electronic scrap material.
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:46 pm

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 12:10 pm 

What grade are the floppy drive boards with pins still attached?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 12:14 pm 
Reputable Seller

Peripheral grade. Removing the pins will downgrade the board to low grade and the pins will go as a cable end if left with the plastic.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 12:16 pm 

Thnx for quick response. Off topic. I'm doing a nitric acid leech on 14.2oz of pins. I just ran out of nitric acid. Can I use nitric salts? I'm in dallas are and need either salts or more acid. I'm just at the end and saved 30ml of nitric for Aqua regia.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:03 pm 

Asiacdurr wrote:
Thnx for quick response. Off topic. I'm doing a nitric acid leech on 14.2oz of pins. I just ran out of nitric acid. Can I use nitric salts? I'm in dallas are and need either salts or more acid. I'm just at the end and saved 30ml of nitric for Aqua regia.

hopefully you didn't use much as nitric acid leech as it is not the best way to get the gold off the pins... chances are you will use more money in nitric acid than you will get from the recovered gold.

a general rule of thumb is that most 'pins' if they are completely covered with gold plating, will yield about 0.5g - 1.0g per pound of gold. Only very old pins (such as pins pre-1970's) or specialty plated pins will yield higher and even then will only be about 1g-3g per pound

also, you will probably only need about 2mL of nitric to make the aqua regia needed. you want to try to use the least amount of nitric as possible as too much will cause problems later when you try to drop the gold out of solution.