Welcome to Boardsort™ - Learn - Sell - Profit -

Learn to properly Sort, Sell, and Profit from your electronic scrap material.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:13 pm

Post subject: desktop.
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:30 am 

So my question is this. How much do u think comes out of a desktop in scrap as on how much so I know how much to purchase for.

Post subject: Re: desktop.
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:04 pm 

i dont know where you are but i would no pay more then 12 dollars for a complete tower just to scrap... i can and do sell everything from towers expect the plastic covers.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:27 pm 
Reputable Seller

I would not go higher than $4 per tower. Most desktop PCs will yield the following

1 small socket motherboard (about a pound when cleaned of metal)
2 sticks of fingered RAM (less than an ounce)
1 CPU chip (one ounce, value will vary based on chip type)
1 fingered expansion card (one to two ounces after all metal is removed)
1 hard drive (about a pound of aluminum, and up to one ounce for the controller board)
1 optical drive (two ounces for the controller board if IDE, one or less if SATA, over a pound of shred metal for everything else)
1 PSU (two to three pounds of shred metal, or disassemble for transformers and aluminum, about four ounces of each at most)
1 CPU heatsink (half-pound to a pound of aluminum or copper-aluminum alloy)

Generally, the older the PC, the better, but try to price them where you can profit from scrapping.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:01 pm 

kgryczan wrote:
I would not go higher than $4 per tower. Most desktop PCs will yield the following

would like to know where you live... towers for 4$

cheapest around kcmo[Missouri]is about 8$...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:37 pm 

Evilrick,

I pick up dead computers for free usually, but if I have to pay, I usually pay right around $4 bucks as well.
Anyone who charges more for a "dead" computer, usually know their way around computers or are aware that you're buying it to scrap. If the shoe were on the other foot, wouldn't you try to get more than 4 bucks?
I live in upstate New York, it's a lot more expensive to live here than pretty much the entire state of Missouri. If I can make this work, so can you.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:09 pm 

Thearchivebooks wrote:
Evilrick,

I live in upstate New York, it's a lot more expensive to live here than pretty much the entire state of Missouri. If I can make this work, so can you.

there are also many more people therefore much more supply vs demand.anyway thanks for stating where you live.im always a little curious about stuff like that..

sorry for the thread hijack there Tadpole911..[still would like to know where
kgryczan lives..

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:01 am 

I don't ever take towers unless they are free. I always go by P4 CPU or older, scrap, Pentium D or newer, Investigate if it is repairable, then fix or scrap. So far of the newer ones I have fixed more then I have scrapped, and they are worth more when working.

I live in Iowa and around here used working computers are not worth much, so I price them way cheap and normally double or triple my money in repairs.

Laptops, unless they are really new, I just scrap or part out on ebay.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:58 am 

I'm with scob89 on this. I have yet to pay for any devices. But, I'm not looking to supplement my income...I'm using this to help finance a computer build, because I can't justify spending 4 digits on a machine.

Almost everyone has an old unit in their closet, it's just a matter of letting them know that you'll take them off their hands.

I score most of my stuff where I work at the local VFW. I always bring my laptop in. It all starts when someone sees me on it and asked "can you fix computers?". "Yes, I can", and they will offer to pay, I'll tell that I'll take any old systems if they don't want to throw cash. Either way, I get something toward my build.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:18 am 

5 bucks is what i pay at my local auctions. Sometimes less if you going to scrap in quanity you cant wait on free stuff. Dont be afraid to spend as long as you can profit. I rip apart at least a hundred towers a month plus tons of other electronics no way i can make what i do waiting on freebies.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:22 pm 

BSOD wrote:
I'm with scob89 on this. I have yet to pay for any devices. But, I'm not looking to supplement my income...I'm using this to help finance a computer build, because I can't justify spending 4 digits on a machine.

Thats exactly what I was doing, until one of the towers I got had nothing wrong with it and was pretty impressive. Dual 2.33 Ghz Xeon Quad core cpu's. I maxed it out to 32GB of RAM and haven't had any issues for a couple years with it.

I do the same with all of my scrapping, All profits go to make scrapping more easy or to things that would make it more effient.