Welcome to Boardsort™ - Learn - Sell - Profit -

Learn to properly Sort, Sell, and Profit from your electronic scrap material.
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:13 am

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 3:22 am 

Everyone thank you so much for your information. I did email Chris and for the first time I stumped him and the refiner he was speaking with and they stated since they never seen these before they would only offer my $25/lb... I was needless to say shocked about the extreme low value (almost offended) however I know they have to protect themselves. So I will take everyone's advise and hold on to them. I have no need to sell them I have already placed the 12 I have into a safe deposit box for the time being. Thank you all again...

If in the future I should find out more or get the curiosity to find out the value I will gladly post them / repost a reply of their value.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 12:03 am 

okay.... I think we need to get back to reality here... first off, this item is not that old as it has a QR code on it, so its not any older than the mid 90's.

This looks like many of the photos of a SPARC64 VII that I am seeing... this chip which was a collaboration between Sun and Fujitsu (thus the 'F' logo on the chip) for UNIX platform servers. My best guess is that is the heat-spreader from the top of the cpu... which makes sense since you separated them from something.

Typically, heat spreaders are made from a tungsten/copper alloy making them very heavy. They are generally not gold plated, but some are. They are never solid gold though.

Also, in the original photo, is the white balance/lighting mode set to the correct setting for the type of lighting you had? I'm just asking because it sure looks like its gold plated, but sometimes the cameras can play tricks on you.

Honestly, I think you have a gold plated heat spreader. It might be thick plating, but still nothing very valuable.

My best advice is to try to find out what you have by either taking it to a jeweler (who should have an acid test kit) or getting an assay done on it by a lab, who would be able to give you a full chemical analysis of the contents.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 12:26 am 
Site Admin

Could be a VII though it comes up as the Hitachi V based on the lower number. And there's a huge difference between the two.
I do believe i mentioned having it scanned and if not YES absolutely have it scanned in person BEFORE you send it ANYWHERE.
The VII was a production run for business servers

The other difference here of note is mine are lga. Flat bottom of gold squares. Looks like this could /possibly/ be a spreader or possibly be a side link array. Can you get a tight angle side shot of the corner? If there's a small circular opening in each corner they were sla military chips. If not...?

Bottom line here is we are /ALL/ guessing myself included.
I'll post mine Tuesday or Wednesday.when i get it back.
(Don't just mail it off randomly I've used my guy for almost a decade and used to live in his city).
See if it helps to have a comparison.

Also I'll look around to see if i have an sla grid somewhere.

Do you know/remember who where you got it from. That would also help.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 12:35 am 
Site Admin

Well. It's definitely not a qr code. No guide squares.
I thought it may be a datamatrix but it's missing the grid key

The mystery grows.