Welcome to Boardsort™ - Learn - Sell - Profit -

Learn to properly Sort, Sell, and Profit from your electronic scrap material.
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:04 pm

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:10 am 

When I am retrieving my DVD board I don't know how to classify the laser component. Could I get a little help with this please?

Thank you

Attachments:
20190203_090337[1].jpg
20190203_090337[1].jpg [ 3.96 MiB | Viewed 1714 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 1:26 pm 

mncopy,

You'll need your jewelers Phillips screwdriver, jewelers flat blade screwdriver and a small pair of needle nose pliers.

You can unscrew the small board with the gold pin connector. I believe that goes as peripheral.

If you want to go further and retrieve more...

After the removal of the board with gold pin connector, the rest will take some time and patience.

In some cases, you'll need to pry off the metal shield to reveal more Phillips screws. In other cases you'll find other Phillips screws around the body of the CD, DVD/ROM read/write head. Remove all of the screws that you find. You will also find what look like screws, but are actually adjustment pots the manufacturer uses to fully dial in the voltage and current to the device. You'll know these are not fasteners because you'll turn and turn them and they don't come out.

Any way, once all of the covers have been removed, you'll find the laser diode and the photo diode. These components have gold wires inside them as well as gold legs or pins. I've included a few photographs of what you'll be looking for.

In some cases, the laser diode will be in a tunnel. They can be glued in and/or pressed in, or friction fit. Some of the friction fit laser diodes can be quite difficult to push out and you will damage them, but that will be fine.

I believe most of these components in the pictures below will fall into gold pin IC, provided they have gold legs or pins. If not, then IC class. Lost will be better able to define.

Regardless, these parts are quite small and the combined weight of what you'll see in the pictures, probably weighs less than a half ounce. The time involved getting them out and the lack of any real weight, well, after you do a few, you'll decide whether or not you want to go to the effort. I like collecting them, odd quirk I know.

There are also a pair of extremely small neodymium magnets in there if you're into collecting those.

In addition, be careful, there are lenses and mirrors inside. Many of these are made of glass. It's easy to chip these when digging around, please wear eye protection.

Enjoy,

RustyFuryIII

Attachments:
File comment: These five diodes would easily fit onto a small postage stamp!
IMG_9216.JPG
IMG_9216.JPG [ 1.31 MiB | Viewed 1709 times ]
File comment: Laser Diode
IMG_9175.JPG
IMG_9175.JPG [ 1.9 MiB | Viewed 1709 times ]
File comment: Photo Diode
IMG_8967.JPG
IMG_8967.JPG [ 3.42 MiB | Viewed 1709 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 1:42 pm 
Site Admin

The optic IC is IC class
The small diode caps have their own class, and boardsort does buy them based on a scanned quote.
Clean flat wire and laminate goes in mixed wire. There’s some small tiny magnets in most too. Not dangerous but very powerful for their size. Tend to no cobalt. But other materials are known.
There is a fair bit of metals too. Aluminium or magnesium. Stainless or nickel thin sheet. Screws and plastics. Etc.

Whole, I just toss it in peripheral.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 1:43 pm 
Site Admin

Based on rusty...
IC
Custom quote
IC