Welcome to Boardsort™ - Learn - Sell - Profit -

Learn to properly Sort, Sell, and Profit from your electronic scrap material.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:58 pm

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:25 pm 

found a processor with intel confidential on the first line any value?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:24 pm 
Site Admin

Sounds like an engineering sample.
Value as scrap? Whatever class the design and package falls into

Value as a chip? Depends on what it is and what point in pre production.
Late stage samples are often worth less than the final releases.
On the other side, cancelled cpus have a collector’s market all its own. And the further close to final production the more it’s worth. Take the Core 3. (Not the i3). Early chips are about $5-$10. Late stage can climb past $50. That was nearly identical to the i series releases. On the other hand the cancelled i38c60 bus controller can reach insane values despite being not much more than proof of concept.
Hope that covers the question

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:40 pm 
Site Admin

what intel says
That said pre release samples were covered in HP:Ritter and Microsoft:Comtek collectibles. First sale doctrine applies even if the ‘payment’ was a security deposit. When they keep deposits on unreturned loan samples contract law dictates it’s a foreclosure on a loan. So despite what the link states there’s not much intel can do against such collecting sales.
Look up as much as you can from ID numbers, if any; or count the pins and note the (c) date stamp to come up with a generation to narrow down what it is if blank. Look up values on ebay, heritage, sacks etc. If the value is enough to sell it have at it. If anyone gives you any issues on ownership or whatever, though, call your lawyer. Nobody cares about a $20 sale. But if you ask $1000, auction it for 500, etc, you may want to get as much advise as you can up front.
And ask more informed people. Eg the CPU wiki on fandom. Places like that. There regular collectors can help you navigate both the law and the wild marketplace.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:01 pm 

thanks

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:01 pm 
Site Admin

I only mention all of that because CPU sample collecting is a fairly large market. Samples can run junk prices of under a dollar, and be many thousands. Or more.
Much like demo and screener collecting in entertainment most of such sales are ignored but when numbers start to get into three digits or more, annoying eyes start to pry. Apple is known to be problematic, where AMD doesn’t say much about anything. Nintendo is another company that goes ballistic.
I’ve never heard directly of intel being an issue but if you’re looking at something with a sales value over a few hundred dollars you may want to get some guidance.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:59 pm 

ok thanks will probably just scrap it