Welcome to Boardsort™ - Learn - Sell - Profit -

Learn to properly Sort, Sell, and Profit from your electronic scrap material.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:12 pm

Post subject: ID HELP PLEASE
PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 8:44 pm 

Attachment:
E FRONT BACK.JPG
E FRONT BACK.JPG [ 2.77 MiB | Viewed 4133 times ]
Attachment:
D FRONT BACK.JPG
D FRONT BACK.JPG [ 2.95 MiB | Viewed 4133 times ]
Attachment:
C FRONT BACK.JPG
C FRONT BACK.JPG [ 2.49 MiB | Viewed 4133 times ]
Attachment:
A B FRONT BACK.JPG
A B FRONT BACK.JPG [ 2.32 MiB | Viewed 4133 times ]

Post subject: Re: ID HELP PLEASE
PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 8:50 pm 

Again Thanks for your training, From Server tear downs

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 9:33 am 
Site Admin

All peripheral

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 10:35 am 

Thank You

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 2:32 pm 

lostinlodos wrote:
All peripheral

Per that second photo, the board with that mid sized heat sink. If i had that board, i would rip that heat sink off and add that to my aluminum extrusions pile for the scrap yard, thinking if i sent this board to Boardsort, they would just rip this off the board and i wouldnt get paid for that weight. I know i was told this happened in the past, and i never get any additional money amounts for aluminum heat sinks in my past shipments.

I know these pieces of aluminum are not much weight, but im just asking for future reference. Boardsort does go through every board in a Peripheral pile and just rip those off those types of things, correct?

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 3:44 pm 
Site Admin

Generally per the rules in the other thread and the not a rule[s]’ you’re supposed to remove any large heatainks and steel shields. Anything larger than a quarter of the board size, or individually larger than a half dollar.

My understanding was they were downgrading boards with larger heatsinks.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 10:44 pm 

I agree, we pop heat sinks of asap. So looking at the expanded photo again We see its a block full of wire connectors This servers boards all connect together via these blocks Like a toy

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 3:13 pm 
Site Admin

FlyersMike wrote:
lostinlodos wrote:
All peripheral

...if i sent this board to Boardsort, they would just rip this off the board and i wouldnt get paid for that weight. I know i was told this happened in the past, and i never get any additional money amounts for aluminum heat sinks in my past shipments.

I know these pieces of aluminum are not much weight, but im just asking for future reference. Boardsort does go through every board in a Peripheral pile and just rip those off those types of things, correct?

That block in question is a connector block. It is made of plastic and has gold tipped connectors inside, it can stay on the board with no issues.

I want to clarify something about our removal of metal from the boards we buy. Yes there are cases where you may not have been paid for metal that we removed from your board "in order to save it from a downgrade". (important distinction there)

We have no problem helping our customers with miss-graded and improperly sorted material. I will happily correct your mistake, downgrade OR upgrade with no penalty and pay accordingly. Nothing makes my day more than when I tell a customer they have more $ than they were expecting. I do it every week, but unfortunately I sometimes have to tell them it was less.

With most buyers, if you sell a material that is "dirty" (in this industry dirt means the material has other junk on it such as metal and big capacitors etc) they are going to down grade it. Period. Higher paying buyers cannot clean the board and still give you the clean price (minus the dirt) and then PAY for the dirt (in this case the aluminum that was removed). They instead will call it Mid or worse Low grade and move on. Womp Womp.... Too much junk to wade through? The whole lot goes as a downgrade. I've seen it.

I will (at least in the case Mike referred to ) try to help you preserve your intended grades by doing BASIC cleaning and then tell you what/why I did it.

This is a courtesy. Don't test it. I am not stating that I will clean your boards. I am saying that if you made an honest mistake I will correct it for you. Having said that I will also downgrade material that is not properly sorted or grossly neglected dirt wise. There is a fine line and I have been in this business long enough to know if someone is taking advantage of that line.

The dirt (in the above quoted case it was some aluminum heatsinks) will fall to the shop floor to be swept up with the rest of the scraps that accumulate throughout the day. For us to attempt to collect and weigh those cleanings is going beyond what I will still pay for "sorted and cleaned material" that really wasn't.

I am the fairest buyer you will find, but in order for us to remain fair we must buy the material in a fair but efficient way.

Make sure you do the work on your end so that you can get paid for it.

I just wanted to put that out there.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 5:38 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks; Chris
To be clear, for all here, my reference was picture C.
The giant stainless shield.

Not any of the small plastic connectors, which as Chris pointed out can stay. And should.

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 5:57 pm 

not that it matters cause ''who am i in this place'' but i can verfiy what chris says about being fair aswell as what he says about downgrades or upgrade i have seen it here 1st hand .no better place around then this one..