Welcome to Boardsort™ - Learn - Sell - Profit -

Learn to properly Sort, Sell, and Profit from your electronic scrap material.
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:47 pm

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 1:13 pm 
Site Admin

Those are (almost) definitely going to be brass. Flip the board over and look at the underside of the sockets. They will probably have the same silver coloured solder base with the extra shiny look.
That solder gives off a blue-to-blue-green tint under strong lighting. Depending on the amount of tin added to the lead.

You can always pull them and send them on to Chris to test them. I’ve been wrong before. But again the solder is definitely lead. So the pins are probably brass and dealing with lead is problematic. You’d have to cut the pins at the board, and keep them long enough to still get into a processor class.
You definitely can’t heat them safely. Lead fumes... just not good.
Again this whole board is a risk.

As for discussion on the relays? They stopped being used in any quantity around 1979 and were banned outright in most countries by 1985, all but 6 by 1998. To my memory they’ve come up twice since I’ve been on the site. Once on a board with bubble memory. The only time in my life I’ve said the risk is worth the reward. Bubble memory units contain gold, palladium, platinum, rhodium, and Orthoferrite. The last being an iron oxide mixed with a rare earth. Usually itself expensive.
Again that board and in general, all predate 1980. These caps are Found on mainframes, super servers, mini-computers, and early terminal units and home consoles. Like the original pong. You’ll see it in electric organs from the early rock days, old guitar amps, theatre projectors, and calculating machines.

Very old vacuum cleaners were notorious. Since they had bypass switching. So a live charge would simply flow through the blown caps! Yuck. Mercury vapour whilst cleaning normally!

But yeah, they’re very rare to find at the general consumer level we see here.
I’ve written a novella again. So I’m gone now. :poof:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 4:03 am 

lostinlodos wrote:
You can always pull them and send them on to Chris to test them
.I suggest you ask chris[boardsort] before that he may not want anything to do with that board.some of that older stuff might be in bad shape and be leaking .{dose not seem to be but better ask anyway.}

lostinlodos wrote:
You definitely can’t heat them safely. Lead fumes... just not good.
Again this whole board is a risk.

yeap...back to point 1....

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 4:24 am 

Thank You, Lostinlowdos! It is always interesting to learn more about the various components that can be found. Novels are appreciated!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2022 8:20 pm 

lostinlodos wrote:
Pic 5 midgrade. I’d suggest not sending it, and instead carefully cracking the cover off the switch. Occasionally they have gold plated balls in the dip switches.

Are these the gold plated balls you are talking about?

Attachments:
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 1.92 MiB | Viewed 779 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2022 10:52 pm 
Site Admin

Looks like them!