Welcome to Boardsort™ - Learn - Sell - Profit -

Learn to properly Sort, Sell, and Profit from your electronic scrap material.
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:05 pm

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:43 pm 

I am aware of the precious metals inside of all catalytic converter. What types or precious metal and how much exactly, i do not know, but i am aware they are present. Usually when i receive catalytic converter's, I take them to the scrap yard and they pay me based off taking a look at each catalytic converter.

I never have any idea how much I'm getting robbed. Can anyone give me any knowledge on the insides of catalytic converter's and/or what the best thing is to sell them?

Also, I did decide to rip apart a couple catalytic converter's and i have all of the inside metals in a bag. Does Boardsort buy catalytic converters? And what about the bag i have of the precious metal insides only?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:47 pm 
Site Admin

Wikipedia wrote:
including platinum, palladium, rhodium, and gold

The value ranges dramatically. From $5-$7 for some low end low quality after market units up to $150 for some very high quality commercial truck ones.
Dock prices for scrap yards should be about half that.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:17 pm 

lostinlodos wrote:
Wikipedia wrote:
including platinum, palladium, rhodium, and gold

The value ranges dramatically. From $5-$7 for some low end low quality after market units up to $150 for some very high quality commercial truck ones.
Dock prices for scrap yards should be about half that.

Thank you for the information. Im assuming that means Boardsort does not have any interest in catalytic converter's? I know you guys are very into the precious metals, so it would surprise me if Boardsort had no interest.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:50 pm 
Site Admin

Interest? I’m sure. But every state has it’s own laws, plus local. Something like catalytic converters is a difficult and highly regulated section of the industry.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:37 pm 

lostinlodos wrote:
Interest? I’m sure. But every state has it’s own laws, plus local. Something like catalytic converters is a difficult and highly regulated section of the industry.

I live in PA and was not aware or any legal aspects. Can you further explain?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:52 pm 
Site Admin

Your state level law: P.L.1408, No.113, should cover most of what you need to figure out. Catalytic converters Are easily and regularly stolen from parked cars across the country so many states have all sorts of rules and laws in place to stop theft. Like construction copper, this is another of the regulated categories. Just hop on line and look up the state code (number above). If it’s not mentioned it’s unregulated at the state level. It may still be so locally though.
Restrictions range from simply supplying a vin from the car it came from, to price limits on buy/sell transactions, to blanket bans.yet in some places there’s still no rules at all.