Welcome to Boardsort™ - Learn - Sell - Profit -

Learn to properly Sort, Sell, and Profit from your electronic scrap material.
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:44 pm

Post subject: It's not a board!
PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:02 am 

I know these are copper or mixed copper, but honestly I'm not sure they would go with anything listed on the payout list. Most of it might go into copper #2? One of them has a copper heat sink on it... some of them have alluminum heat sinks (painted black). I just don't know how to classify this stuff.

Attachments:
copper-1.jpg
copper-1.jpg [ 1.87 MiB | Viewed 3557 times ]

Post subject: Re: It's not a board!
PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 1:52 pm 
Site Admin

Circled are copper heatainks. Clean and one dirty
Outside will be #2 copper and dirty (paint) aluminium.
Attachment:
08A1F6F4-EBF3-4BF6-855A-2B02E5CE42D8.jpeg
08A1F6F4-EBF3-4BF6-855A-2B02E5CE42D8.jpeg [ 836.47 KiB | Viewed 3542 times ]

Heat sink bars like this are sufficiently soft enough you can cut, or bend to break, the copper extensions off.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 4:42 am 

So I popped them off like you said lost... this is what they look like now. Are you sure these will go in clean copper heatsinks?

Attachments:
heatsinks.jpg
heatsinks.jpg [ 1.94 MiB | Viewed 3492 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 11:30 am 
Site Admin

As long as you removed and aluminium or brass; and wipe off any freely removable paste. Yes.
As I’m sure you noticed those design is made by punching small copper nubs through holes in the connecting pipe. They come apart easily.
I’ve sent these in as clean copper heatainks (and clean copper) in the past. As for the pipes if there’s any silveride solder at the end just nip it off.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 5:05 am 

Ok by paste you mean that old thermal paste correct? I can probably get that off... but as you can see where the copper pipes used to run that stuff is like cooked on there. I don't think I can get that stuff off. Would that still make it dirty?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 12:59 pm 
Site Admin

I don’t think it will make a differ Here.
By clean in the heatsink categories he wants nickel and steel rivets removed. Brackets. Screws. Etc.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 5:02 pm 
Reputable Seller

Stuff like this, I take to my local scrap yard. Frequently, I find a lot of copper and aluminum/copper heat sinks. I do what lostinlodos does and try separating the copper from the aluminum as best as possible. What I can't separate, as long as there's no ferrous metal on there, goes as clean al/cu radiators.

One tip I will share is if you find any heat sinks with the solid copper cores in them from desktop computers, you can bend the fins on one side of the heat sink and cut into that gap with anything you have that can cut metal. Cut deep enough into that gap to where you just barely touch the copper core. Use a hammer and a screwdriver or other tool to tap out the copper core. Core goes as #2 or #3 copper (depending on buyer), and remaining aluminum goes as extruded aluminum (in many cases).

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 5:39 pm 
Site Admin

The issue for me now is that so many scrap yards have closed.... and the ones that are open are busier than ever. No way I’m taking the risk of wondering around a yard waiting with dozens of other people
If the SAH situation lasts much longer Chris will start getting my copper and brass. And sadly aluminium may wind up in the recycling bin. Counting not just scrap but household use we move a lot of aluminium. Cans. Containers. Foils.
Much more than I can store for any length of time. And not expensive enough to ship.
I was putting steel on the curb in a separate bin but some jerk decided to take my bin with the metal I was kind enough to put out for them. Bins aren’t free. Even small storage bins. I can’t easily replace it now the way things are.
To think some local scrapper could have had a nice payday but a single jerk now guarantees that ALL my metals I’m not selling get dropped in county touchless hands free drop when I take my mail runs to the DSC. where I drive up. Pour the bins out over a low railing, and drive away.
Word to the wise in scrapping: if it’s too good to be true... ASK!! And don’t steal the slightly broken plastic bin!

SAH: stay at home
DSC: distribution and sorting centre