Welcome to Boardsort™ - Learn - Sell - Profit -

Learn to properly Sort, Sell, and Profit from your electronic scrap material.
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:15 am

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 8:04 pm 

Each board weighs 4 lbs even though they only measure 8x9x2. What grade would this be? The big connector looks gold. Thanks.

Attachments:
File comment: PS Side view
PS side.jpg
PS side.jpg [ 412.95 KiB | Viewed 2729 times ]
File comment: PS Connector view
PS back connector view.jpg
PS back connector view.jpg [ 469.28 KiB | Viewed 2729 times ]

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 1:03 pm 
Site Admin

Rack mount power supplies.
As is they’ll be midgrade. You can do some serious surgery to get to peripheral but the work/value is debatable.

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 8:37 pm 

I don't see rack mount power supplies on the payout rate. Would these be "Mid Grade Board"? Thanks

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 9:55 pm 
Site Admin

lostinlodos wrote:
...As is they’ll be midgrade...

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2020 6:49 am 

This comment is for the newbies: Midgrade is not feasible to ship as the cost per pound is likely several times the amount you will get for midgrade boards, unless you are doing a combined LTL pallet.
I deliver in person, so throwing in a couple hundred pounds of such boards is no problem for me, and will buy another tank of Gasoline. However, most power supplies would probably stay midgrade or lower if the aluminum heatsinks and copper transformers were removed: these may or may not be worth your while to strip and ship.
Back when aluminum was in the 40 to 80 cent per pound range, and before I discovered Boardsort , I did clean heavy boards like this for the copper and aluminum salvage, but saved the boards so that I had many pounds when I finally did sell to Boardsort.
Lost didn't mention it, but you would probably have to leave the heavy goldplate connector in order to make the jump, as there isn't a lot of other value on the board once the heavy metal is removed. Also, those heavy aluminum heat sinks and the transformers are fastened with bolts/nuts, so it is more work to remove them. This is a situation where it is too good to throw away, but not really worth what it costs to salvage it, for most people.

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2020 3:05 pm 
Site Admin

Meowpher IX

yes my extra comment on the jump was for more seasoned users. I point out rack mount as the one board type most likely to be worth the trouble of cleaning. The combined copper and aluminium you strip off is past a pound.

The gold connector is required to have the upgrade.

These power supplies are discussed elsewhere in the forum. Along with block and brick supplies. All three types have large gold pin (fin) connectors.
Rack mount. Large power supplies in a box. Technically called a full load redundant power unit.
Power SUPPLY Bricks. (Not to be confused with power bricks). Or just brick. Shaped like long decorative bricks. Technically a partial load hot swappable redundant power unit.
Blocks/Power Blocks. Look like a car battery. Only larger. Used in large minicomputers and mainframes. These have a removable backplane board.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 2:05 pm 

Thanks for the info, much appreciated.