Welcome to Boardsort™ - Learn - Sell - Profit -

Learn to properly Sort, Sell, and Profit from your electronic scrap material.
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:06 am

Post subject: Pins
PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 2:10 pm 

I asked about gold plating on pins in one of my other posts and wanted to take some photos and make sure I'm still on the right track.

Attachment:
File comment: Examples
IMG_9919.jpg
IMG_9919.jpg [ 2.18 MiB | Viewed 1728 times ]

The left side is all from different ribbon cables. The middle to right side is from a variety of sources. Closer images below.
Top, strip has no gold, correct?
Middle, individual pins in next picture.
Bottom, plastic with the pins still in (just for reference).

Attachment:
File comment: Close up Pins from ribbon cable
IMG_9921.jpg
IMG_9921.jpg [ 1.88 MiB | Viewed 1728 times ]

So top, left to right:
1st, 3rd has visible gold plating (barely on 3)
2nd, 4th has no visible gold plating
5th appears to be brass (without any nickle?)
Bottom:
All have visible gold plating

If I'm pulling pins and seeing that there is no gold or that the pins are just brass, those will need to be kept separate, correct? Or will there be trace amounts of gold that allow them to still go with the gold plated pins?

Attachment:
File comment: Close up
IMG_9922.jpg
IMG_9922.jpg [ 1.67 MiB | Viewed 1728 times ]

Just examples mostly. But, the long piece, will or won't go with plated pins? I thought those didn't go but I had that piece sitting around and thought I'd ask.

Post subject: Re: Pins
PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 3:50 pm 
Site Admin

The support bar on the top doesn’t have gold. The individual teeth you pulled out do though.
Your second photo are definitely gold pins.

Last photo is a mix of stuff. The three thick connectors with the ridges; I’d bank on brass with tin solder. The long shield definitely has gold, obviously. It’s not pins though. Toss it in with peripheral boards.
The power contact is a heavy zinc brass.
The rest of the pins, and the grill. You’ll need to trim non-gold-plated metal off for gold pin rate.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 8:33 pm 

In case it matters I did try to get the photos as close to the true color as I could.

So the top row of pins, that 2nd and 4th pin that visually has no sign of gold can still go in with the gold plated pins?

The 5th pin doesn't appear to be anything but brass, was/is gold ever plated to brass?
~~~~~~~~~~~
Apparently my examples had issues... so if adding this info changes anything let me know:

The connectors with ridges were military grade and I think I managed to find a spec sheet before stating there was a minimum gold plating but now I'm not sure (???)

The grill and power contact were off a server board of some sort, I think the receiving port for a removable PSU.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 9:03 pm 
Site Admin

2nd/4th. I see gold on one and maybe on the other. Both look worn, but still gold plated.
If that’s not the case then no, if all the gold is gone it’s not a gold pin.
This is more a case of my knowing the pins than over studying the photo. See above.
As for the 5th? I’ve never seen a brass pin In a ribbon cable but I have regularly found fully plated pins. Usually on clock pins and power pins.
If in doubt scratch or cut it.

Riged pins. Makes a difference and well could be then. I’d say send them in but give them their own little baggie or envelope in the gold pins.

Server and high end gaming boards tend to have gold flash in places it’s not needed. Looks kool and all. Trim off any non gold plating. Doesn’t look thick enough to be a problem for pin rate. Any thicker the metal, or thinner the gold (photo looks like it’s dark enough to be more than a mist application) and it would go with the support piece as peripheral.