Welcome to Boardsort™ - Learn - Sell - Profit -

Learn to properly Sort, Sell, and Profit from your electronic scrap material.
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:09 am

Post subject: Cut up boards
PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:48 pm 

I’m new to escrapping, but I’ve been stockpiling circuit boards for years now because I salvage components to use in projects. The components I’ve taken off most of my boards aren’t of any value (transformers, capacitors, dip sockets, etc) but now that I’m scraping boards I’m a bit concerned about how the cut up boards may vary in value now. I included a picture of two good examples of what I would do to my boards. Would anyone be able to give me a rundown on how this type of cutting may effect the grade/value of these particular boards? Before a cut, I would be confident these would go as peripheral or low telecom, but after removing some dip sockets from the large one and the whole half of the small, I’m not so sure.

Attachments:
3C282F97-E467-42C6-AEAC-65C11A47B434.jpeg
3C282F97-E467-42C6-AEAC-65C11A47B434.jpeg [ 3.31 MiB | Viewed 1095 times ]

Post subject: Re: Cut up boards
PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 2:39 pm 

Anybody have any thoughts?? I really just want to know if these boards and boards like it should be downgraded in my sorting. I'd really appreciate any insight, even just an Identification of these two particular boards.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:23 pm 
Site Admin

The small konica board is missing it’s connectors. And is now firmly low telco.
The larger board, I’m trying to recall but believe you cut out the flash sockets.
As it is looks to be just barely low telco.

These two aside you’re in a grey area overall.

Officially the answer is removing ICs including flatpacks makes midgrade.
My generation of that extends to removing gold pin connectors.
Ion paper (or text here) no one should remove anything that i or a member of boardsort hasn’t specifically said to remove.
That said I myself pull components. Mostly capacitors, fuses, resistors. But I have multiple decades of dealing with both board work and scrap. And have a good idea what makes what valuable.

So
What you stated you removed is not going to cause you any issue.
But
Removing a flash card adapter is a nono. You got by with it here. They’re technically dual inline pin components but are not considered dip sockets. Even removing actual dip sockets, 4-30 pins in 2-16 pin rows, is not wise. Especially when you can get a box of 25 new for $5 for the higher quality ones.

I have two suggestions here. One, contact Chris by email or phone AFTER thanksgiving. He’s really down to earth. And it’s hard to find higher ups in any field who love what they do like Chris does. Explain exactly what you removed and how much of this stuff you have. That way he’s aware of who you are and what you’re sending long before it gets there and causes confusion.
Second post pictures like you did here, of anything questionable and all boards with any major missing piece or cutouts.
It will let one of us longer term users review things up front. Making less commotion in shipments and giving you some fall back with Chris in ‘I did my homework’ down the line if someone at the dock someday decides to ignore a batch or box as harvested midgrade. Not likely but it /does/ happen from time to time. Everyone has bad days where they say FI.

By doing both you make sure things go smoothly.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:13 pm 

Thank you lostinlodos, I’ll definitely contact Chris about this stuff since you think that’s the move. I know you guys at boardsort do quality work and the last thing I wanna do is cause confusion at the scales. I know removing stuff from boards is frowned upon, I just didn’t know at the time I’d be grading and getting cash for this stuff someday haha.