Welcome to Boardsort™ - Learn - Sell - Profit -

Learn to properly Sort, Sell, and Profit from your electronic scrap material.
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:59 pm

Post subject: Silver end connectors?
PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 7:13 pm 

I know what gold plated connector ends are and have a pound and a half, but what do I do with the ones that are not gold plated? Does boardsort buy these?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 10:54 pm 
Site Admin

I never asked. I have a buyer at my local yard, but I always figured they'd be too low in price to ship outside of major quantity.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 12:36 am 

The silver colored ones I usually leave on the wire anyway, my local yard doesn't dock my price with them still attached.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 12:56 am 
Site Admin

The silver contacts from flat wire can go in with silver/tin ram. But anything else i sell locally. Mine wants the wire clean because they sort for stripping.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 1:27 pm 

lostinlodos wrote:
The silver contacts from flat wire can go in with silver/tin ram. But anything else i sell locally. Mine wants the wire clean because they sort for stripping.

Yes, I've been saving those up, don't have that much yet, my yard is a bit strange about the connectors, as any that are thick steel like USB connector ends (Which I put in with my gold connector ends) They dock the price.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:27 am 

RCM wrote:
The silver colored ones I usually leave on the wire anyway, my local yard doesn't dock my price with them still attached.

I don't know about your recycling plant you send them to. But we run one and there are 3 grades to ICW (Insulated Copper Wire)

#1 ICW - Is wiring that has at least 75% of wire and nothing else

#2 ICW - which has about 50% copper wiring

Low Grade ICW - Low grade is insulated copper wire with a low copper recovery. Examples of low grade are as follows USB cables, RCA cables, speaker wire, power cords with the plug ends left on, computer ribbon cable, most car wiring harness’, telephone cords, s-video cables, HDMI cables, mouse and keyboard cords, ac adaptor cords and anything with a low copper content.

A lot of places call this stuff differently, the low grade description is the lowest pay grade of all, low grade could be half the price and #2 or Mid Grade

You might want to check with the yard you are recycling with and ask them what grade you are getting. If you are getting #2 ICW with the ends on, then keep them on, but in the end they may be taking the weight off your ticket for those ends.
Example, say you bring in 5lbs, they may be taking a pound off for the ends as they can cut the ends off, we cut the ends off wiring all the time, but when they have the ends on we give them low grade pricing. Or if you are the type of customer that brings them lots of weight in material they will not deduct anything and give you the best price, which is very good, we do that too, if the customer doesn't have a lot of cords to cut and that person brings us lots of materials, we will give them the good price and cut the cords ourselves.
I wanted to bring attention to all the grades of wires so you know if you are getting the best price possible.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 1:30 pm 
Site Admin

Exactly. My yard breaks up wire by type first:
Round, ribbon and flat/laminate
Then by material style ie twisted, bimetal shielded, rmx, core,
Then by metal. Copper (and most plates), aluminium, steel, nickel, silver, gold etc.
Then into 3 or 4 classes. 1-3 or 1-4 based on % metal recovery from insulation rate.
Eg.
Power extension cords are round Cu wire at #3 rate due to the thick plastic at 35c, but high grade HDMI cables are round bimetal (3 actually) gold spun copper at $1.20/lb. where junk hdmi runs round bimetal copper at 40c.

Non-cu flat wire like nickel silver and gold pay very well but very slowly @ 3.50, 82, and $445 rsp but take forever to get to a pound.

Also keep in mind every yard has its own class points and design for purchasing. So yard A's #2 may be yard B's #3 and some yards take 302, 308, 401 etc stainless where another has only stainless magnetic and stainless non magnetic.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 2:35 pm 

lostinlodos wrote:
Exactly. My yard breaks up wire by type first:
Round, ribbon and flat/laminate
Then by material style ie twisted, bimetal shielded, rmx, core,
Then by metal. Copper (and most plates), aluminium, steel, nickel, silver, gold etc.
Then into 3 or 4 classes. 1-3 or 1-4 based on % metal recovery from insulation rate.
Eg.
Power extension cords are round Cu wire at #3 rate due to the thick plastic at 35c, but high grade HDMI cables are round bimetal (3 actually) gold spun copper at $1.20/lb. where junk hdmi runs round bimetal copper at 40c.

Non-cu flat wire like nickel silver and gold pay very well but very slowly @ 3.50, 82, and $445 rsp but take forever to get to a pound.

Also keep in mind every yard has its own class points and design for purchasing. So yard A's #2 may be yard B's #3 and some yards take 302, 308, 401 etc stainless where another has only stainless magnetic and stainless non magnetic.

My yard buys all computer wire USB HDMI CAT5-6 even flat wire that's not gold or silver as insulated number 2. The power cables I strip, so I get clean number 2 copper which is a higher price.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:07 pm 

lostinlodos wrote:

You are right some yards call #2 ICW low grade in our area we have 3 different types of wire #2 is more midgrade

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 2:19 pm 

lostinlodos wrote:

is there a simple way to identify what the composition of the silver colored flat wire is? silver? nickel? alloy? are all flat wire silver ends considered equal as far as putting them with silver/tin ram? a lot of the flat ribbon wire out of printers/scanners etc the wire up inside the insulation looks exactly the same as the ends? ( I haven't tried acid testing) if you determine the ribbon wire is silver, do you still trim the ends and sell them with silver ram, and save the wire separately? Thanks again for all Your Expertise and the time you spend educating us Rookies ! RT