Welcome to Boardsortâ„¢ - Learn - Sell - Profit -

Learn to properly Sort, Sell, and Profit from your electronic scrap material.
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:14 am

Post subject: Motherboard
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 9:47 am 

I opened up a computer and took off the heat sink off a red china computer(looked to be rather old and there was no processor that came out. it was an amd chip that seemed to be stuck through the board and soldered on the other side it was a purple amd chip. Im not sure how this board would be graded and if it would be more since the processor seems to be on it.

Post subject: Re: Motherboard
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 1:55 pm 

I doubt leaving that chip on will give you an upgrade. Here's my logic: If the chip is soldered in place that means that the board will not contain the concentrated gold typically found in the socket so the chip itself would serve as a substitute for that at the refinery. I have however seen some posts on the forum from Boardsort offering upgrades to telecom grade for boards with 386 and/or gold cap chips but those are much more valuable than yours.

Without a picture it is hard to tell for certain but the description of the chip sounds like a ceramic AMD worth $27/lb today, separated. That being said if you were to remove it you are likely facing a downgrade on board which would result in a net loss compared to leaving it all intact since those chips are only around an ounce +/- each.