Welcome to Boardsort™ - Learn - Sell - Profit -

Learn to properly Sort, Sell, and Profit from your electronic scrap material.
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:59 pm

Post subject: Re: Tandy 1000 computer
PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 1:46 am 

I have absolutely no idea what all of that means lol. yeah it is kinda exciting. I remember using one of these as a kid. It has ports for joysticks not "controllers" lmao. 80s technology was great. I hope it works cuz I'm gonna make my nephews play video games on it for a couple hours. They will really appreciate their xbox's and iPads then. Any idea where to find an adapter for the monitor? The Tandy has 2 rows of pins and the monitor cable has 3

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 2:48 am 
Site Admin

Probably a cga or Hercules
Best bet is a fake RadioShack
If none around you try making your own adaptor. Gamefaqs has loads of text FAQs about various pinouts. And it's quite easy considering all your doing is cutting two cables and twisting wires together.
There's hundreds on ebay but each and every one is over priced .

Be careful on the video game idea. Can backfire.
We tried that with a friend's daughter and she fell in love with the genesis despite an iPad and laptop. Road rash, sonic, columns!
Now she plays pong on my phone via emulator (real pong rom) and gets so mad the computer keeps winning.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 12:34 pm 

We already made them play the original Nintendo and now it's hooked up in the living room and they play super Mario and duck hunt all the time. But if the Tandy works It would be great for them to see what video games were like in the 80s lol. I still remember playing pong, donkey kong and pac man on one

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 12:36 pm 

I've got a buddy that owns a car audio shop in town and he could probably make an adapter for me. I never thought about that til now. Thanks for the idea

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 2:00 pm 
Site Admin

Again for all the junk on the site gamefaqs has some gems.
If you snap a photo of the port I can point you in the right direction but your almost certainly looking at Hercules or rgb. Hercules was a custom Cga/ega port and you'd want a vga plug on the other end. Matching the yy cc whatever it is. ;)
Rgb is much easier matching 6 or 9 pins. You line up the wires for each colour and possibly ground (9) to analogue rca ports.

For Hercules check out the Tandy, commodore, and Atari computer threads.
For rgb look at Dreamcast, GameCube, and Sony psx/ps1.
The original ps1 second release model removed the composite cables and puts a custom (Sony video) vga port but the pins match most 9pin video out so you can use their pin settings.
Left to right bottom to top on 9pin computer to left to right down/up V on the Sony.
On the off chance it's actually vga the Dreamcast faqs, I don't remember which one, one has a vga to dvi-a pin out that you can use as a stepper or experiment with to skip a few steps.

Bottom line if you look up what the output colours and signals are on your computer, you can match it to an analogue adapter on anything modern.
Any thrift shop or donation shop will sell you random cables for a dollar or two !
And no matter how rural you are look on Craig's list. Someone is always dumping a "mixed box of cables, free"!