Welcome to Boardsortâ„¢ - Learn - Sell - Profit -

Learn to properly Sort, Sell, and Profit from your electronic scrap material.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:08 am

Post subject: Help Please
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 5:34 pm 

Telecom?

Attachments:
IMG_20161022_151027.jpg
IMG_20161022_151027.jpg [ 1.65 MiB | Viewed 5208 times ]

Post subject: Re: Help Please
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 7:08 pm 

First one probably peripheral. Peripheral on the right, not even close to enough population for telco

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:02 pm 

Left "might" get telecom, but i think you are most likely to get a motherboard classification for it... it should be more than peripheral because it has some good chips on it, but probably not enough for telecom. Its one I would set aside and ask them about. (if it were me, i would chop off that heavy black box to give my board a better chance at being graded higher)

right is peripheral.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 1:14 am 
Site Admin

The bigger board is definitely peripheral,
Though smaller than my standard Cisco boards I believe you've got enough for telco on the smaller (left) one.
Do NOT chop the board, if possible simply remove the big piece of black metal. That's a vertical contact spreader. There's chip(s) under it.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 10:20 am 

lostinlodos has a good point... make sure it is not a heatspeader on a chip or group of chips.

I made an assumption it was a power converter box... I have seen them on telecom equipment a number of times and they are usually heavy buggers... like half-a-pound-ish heavy. if its not heavy, then definitely keep it on.

I only mentioned chopping the heavy component off to give you the best chance of getting the highest grade possible for that board on the first try... Most of you guys don't have the luxury of deciding to take something back once it gets sent in.

If I knew for a fact the board would get telecom grade i would tell you to leave it... but unfortunately I cannot... I can tell you the more of the heavier components that are one the board, the chances of getting telecom go down and fast so you have to weigh the risk/rewards. :)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 11:59 am 
Site Admin

Normally netlogic boards fall into dual small socket (soldered CPUs) or telco.
This design is normally small socket because the 'missing' section is where a large I/o cluster lies, but this design replaces it with a bus port on the other side; however you have two SM chips which isn't common on this design. Leaving me stumped.
If you're bringing it in keep it alone and ask.
If you're shipping it I'd put it in telco but sort it separately in the box(s) so they can verify it on arrival without risking your sort.