Welcome to Boardsortâ„¢ - Learn - Sell - Profit -

Learn to properly Sort, Sell, and Profit from your electronic scrap material.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:26 pm

Post subject: Help Lostinlodos
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 2:12 pm 

HI guys I think I am starting to get a hang of this grading system somewhat. But I still need a lot more knowledge, but you guys have been great. Ok my question is I put pictures of boards with a socketed IC chips on them, If I remove the chips off the boards with just 1 socketed IC chip will it down grade the board? Also the bottom board has 3 socketed IC chips if I remove all of them will it down grade the board? Is there a rule of thumb of how many removable IC or eproms you can remove without down grading the board?

Attachments:
File comment: 7 socketed Eproms and 2 IC. If I remove 1 ic and 2 eproms will the board valve stay the same or not worth the risk?
DSC01385.JPG
DSC01385.JPG [ 2.91 MiB | Viewed 3312 times ]
File comment: 2 socketed Eproms
DSC01384.JPG
DSC01384.JPG [ 2.84 MiB | Viewed 3312 times ]
File comment: one socketed IC
15.JPG
15.JPG [ 3.03 MiB | Viewed 3312 times ]
File comment: one socketed IC
16.JPG
16.JPG [ 3.02 MiB | Viewed 3312 times ]
File comment: One socketed IC
DSC01399.JPG
DSC01399.JPG [ 2.93 MiB | Viewed 3312 times ]
File comment: 3 socketed IC Chips.
6.JPG
6.JPG [ 3.06 MiB | Viewed 3312 times ]

Post subject: Re: Help Lostinlodos
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 2:33 pm 
Reputable Seller

When we grade boards, we look at overall IC density of the board, presence of gold plating on fingers or pins, and number and type of sockets or slots for CPU or IC chips. In your examples below, as-is, I would give the following:

6: Telecom. Good amount of ICs present. Removing the two socketed ICs in the lower left shouldn't hurt the board's value.

DSC01399: Peripheral. Too many capacitors and other non-IC components on the board. Removing the one socketed IC won't hurt the value of the board.

16: Gold fingered card. Removing the socketed IC won't downgrade the card. Trimming the fingers off will downgrade the card to peripheral.

15: Peripheral. Not enough IC population across the board to give it a higher grade. Removing the socketed IC won't hurt the value of the board.

DSC01384: Peripheral. Too many power and non-IC components on the board. Removing the socketed ICs won't hurt the value of the board.

DSC01385: Telecom. I would leave this one as is to guarantee Telecom grade. There is good IC population over the entire board and non-IC components are very few and located in one small area. If any of the EPROMS have gold legs, I would remove those, as those have more value than a regular IC. Otherwise, place them back in their sockets.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 3:25 pm 

For the very first board, remove all the Dallas boxes! I've never seen so many on one board!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 4:55 pm 
Site Admin

Think k got out of order a bit?
I see we did this backwards to each other. ;)

8 I'm not sure I'd risk removing any ICs. But what the hell with all the batteries!!!? No sense of overkill. They need to be pulled!
6)peripheral
15) peripheral
16)borderline leave the IC in and I'd go telco.
8)peripheral
6)grr
This last one is very borderline. It's got 90% of what you need for a small socket except I don't see a full fledged cpu,? So I'll say, tentatively, small socket subject to the whim of the person who weighs it on reception. There's probably to much lost weight for anything better than that.