Welcome to Boardsort™ - Learn - Sell - Profit -

Learn to properly Sort, Sell, and Profit from your electronic scrap material.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:26 am

Post subject: Re: Little help please?
PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 1:27 am 

Thanks so much for your time and effort. I run a scrap yard and I've been picking out the towers for the past year or so. You would be amazed by the things people "scrap" for pennies a pound. Sad but true fact, my favorite phone call is, "my dad just died and we're cleaning out his garage" There's actually something from my scrap pile sitting in a museum right now.

So back to the scrap. I'm new at this but I'm hitting this pretty hard. First load was 1000lbs+. I don't want to knit pick for a few more cents a pound, I'm more concerned with learning how to sort properly.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 3:06 am 
Site Admin

I'd suggest starting a new thread for more pictures.
Mod mode off

I post historical stuff on boards because I really do get many emails from posters here asking about history and info, and many thankyous for doing so.

I've said this so many times...
If you scrap escrap blindly for a year you'll find 90% of what's out there
Do So if for 10 years you'll find 95%
I've been in tech for quite a while and some boards still throw me; in class (like yours) and even in history (again like yourself).
I've sent stuff to Chris that got emails that are best summed up by saying "???"!
I've gotten to the point where I can boost previous posts and say I'm 99% right 99% of the time
Some things throw me off.
MLS has become an invaluable help as a buffer to challenge me and we've never been more than a grade apart
So again let's see what MLS has to say on that board that's got me questioning but in the end; you can at least know it's a or b and have an idea.
So to cut to the chase here:
If it works sell it whole and get more money
99% of power supplies will be low grade. The rest are split between midgrade and peripheral. But any power supply with a board worth peripheral is still worth $25 doa on ebay and hundreds if if works. We're talking gold connectors hand made silver wire power supplies from falcon and AvAd.
Be it the 5000 watt unit I use to drive dual AMD 9590s and triple R7 cards or server supplies that are half rack 4 pice cubes. They may scrap as peripheral but dos you can ebay them for $100 and $350 respectively.
I've posted every exception I could find here. But those aside if it works sell it whole. If it's dead and bizarre post photos; someone here has seen one

And hey MLS what's that big board on the final pic. Or anyone else for that matter. I get (honestly) somewhat annoyed, when someone finds something I've not seen. Makes me feel like I missed something and all that. :)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 5:52 pm 

I've never seen a mac processor board that big...

strictly from evaluating the board I would say there is not enough population and a number of heavy components and too much 'empty' board to be much better then a 'motherboard grade'... but I know they treat those mac boards differently. And to be honest, I come across mac stuff so infrequently I don't even think I would give better than a 25% confidence in that assessment.