Welcome to Boardsort™ - Learn - Sell - Profit -

Learn to properly Sort, Sell, and Profit from your electronic scrap material.
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:21 am

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 2:15 pm 

A number of years ago, I talked to Bruce (the owner) not Chris (the part time employee) and was told that anything that comes of easily should come of the board, so that is how I have been doing it since.

But you are right MD, I can't find a description anywhere either...I swear it was under the gold finger card description in the gallery, but I think they changed it.

This makes me wonder about a pricing change they had a while ago, maybe they started taking them with heatsink to avoid confusion....

I will ask Bruce again next time I bring some material in and if things have changed, I'll share the info.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 3:57 pm 
Site Admin

Please do; I went through the gallery and forum and can't find what I remember either but I'm positive I saw, something, somewhere. Seems to have been removed. Which has me now confused as well.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:09 pm 

Another ewaste scrap yard in Ohio that has online pricing has this for GFC: (Only need to remove OVERSIZED heatsinks, battery... metal bracket is OK)

Maybe this is where people are seeing it?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:48 pm 

I also looked in the gallery last night because I had the feeling that I had seen the removal description in the gold finger card gallery area.

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 9:57 pm 
Reputable Seller

You said---"Do you really want to be the reason we ALL get $1.80 instead of $1.90 or $2.00.
That's what these minor curtsies MLS pointed out get for us all. You can make an extra 50cents today and eventually get docked or banned; or we can all get a consistent extra few percentage points forever."

and then say that I shouldn't take that personally ?

YOU- should have read my entire post(rather than just scanning it), as at the end you REPEATED what I had said.

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 10:40 pm 
Reputable Seller

In response to MLS's quote=="A number of years ago, I talked to Bruce (the owner) not Chris (the part time employee) "
I would like to clarify that REGARDLESS of job title, all the photos / boards that I have submitted to CHRIS for verification of category were PAID W/O any problem whatsoever.
Yes- The payment was from Bruce's account, BUT they ALSO were for what CHRIS said they would be. ( Not Bruce )
I don't see what the point is in trying to minimize Chris's input in this business,

" MY OPINION " - If you want to know FOR SURE what your boards are going to be classified as -- email Chris@boardsort, and there will be no question, no surprises

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 11:09 pm 
Site Admin

westernwilkes wrote:
..." MY OPINION " - If you want to know FOR SURE what your boards are going to be classified as -- email Chris@boardsort, and there will be no question, no surprises

Here we're in absolute agreement. The purpose of these boards are to help with generalisations. But there's always exceptions to EVERY rule, even in classing recycling.
When I'm stumped that has always been my suggestion.
The downside to that is that there's a bit of a delay in getting a reply for email ;around a week) so posting to the forums first can cut down on delays for the seller in waiting for a reply if someone here can class it.
lately I've been lucky to have a second opinion with MLS, who sells in person, where I only send by freight. Which makes for a quicker reply to specific photos that stumped us on the forums. A bit of help I'm extremely thankful for.

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 11:22 pm 
Site Admin

deisdude wrote:
Another ewaste scrap yard in Ohio that has online pricing has this for GFC: (Only need to remove OVERSIZED heatsinks, battery... metal bracket is OK)

Maybe this is where people are seeing it?

I'm sure they could be part of the confusion too but I'm almost positive there were notes in the links on the sell materials quote page. The site needed some resets a while back due to a spammer who wondered into things and my inadvertent heavy handedness in clearing out a particularly messy day from them. Some threads were wiped out by accident that couldn't be recovered. Along with changes made to the gallery I'm sure whatever we're thinking of was probably part of that purge.
I'm going to email Chris myself as well with a link to this thread and see if we can get something laid out in stone so there's no further confusion.
Whatever was there at one point is obviously missing now; and that's definitely a need to be addressed.

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 4:22 am 
Site Admin

One final note on everything here:
First I didn't to call out ANY individual, everything in those long posts are blanket generalisations.
For direct comments
I was selling before I signed up and don't put any weight on user length of time for anyone myself included.
I do not know w.w.. I know nothing of what he or she has sent or not sent. Knows or does not. I have no issue with you, w.w. And really wasn't picking on you personally.
What got me directly involved. One specific evil spammer who has been a thorn in everyone's side across hundreds of different communities. A paid employee of sorts for a specific company who has a two point attack; grab as many users for his company before being caught. Then trash any community he can no longer migrate. I became, was granted, moderator status to keep on top of this guy. And in all honesty that remains my primary goal here. If he can't get you to sell your scrap and gold to his employer for 35% of spot he posts hundreds of spam messages.
I'm not here to fight with anyone. I'm vocal, crass at times, occasionally rude but I try not to be mean. I know a lot of useless stuff but I believe my record shows I'm not infallible nor do I ever attempt to hide an error I've made.
I don't hide behind a persona. I am easily reachable to anyone who wants.

I bend some rules occasionally and have been completely honest in my intentions. My goal (mr spammer evil dude from hell cash thief looser arse aside) it to preserve technology. To teach technology. And to learn myself.

Most of my sales TO boardsort involve stuff the general public will never come across. Switch board controllers, a few dozen electric organ boards, pinball and arcade equipment. Amusement ride controllers. ...ANALOG! Military. Be if 20 lbs of doa game cartridges or 50 lbs of calculators. A concert hall's outdated a/v or boards from old satellite and aerospace equipment. A few hundred pounds of soviet surplus? Or how about a fried punch machine.
More than once I've gotten responses from Chris stating I don't know what it is but I'll class it as X. And a few of those cases I had no idea what they came from. THAT was my insight. There's little I haven't seen at some point.
Can I guarantee that clean sterling silver peg board is going to get better than cell class, or that or that that 1978 pay phone board will get a specific class?; no! But I can tell you exactly what it is, what is on/in it and a good chance for what I got sending it or a close relative.
Why all of this? I really AM bothered by the thought that you think I attacked you; w.w. I didn't intend to.

I'll eventually get around to getting into that whole recycling thing about clean vs dirty but there's hundreds if not thousands of books on the subject of industrial recycling written by people far more knowledgeable than me and every our little scratch the surface attempts here deserve their own threads.

At this point we have all not only hijacked this thread we've gone so far from the original post I'm going to lock this.
If ANYONE wants to continue this PLEASE feel FREE to post a new thread but we could all be in agreement that discussion of policy or non policy should be continued on the board sort help topic and not the what is it threads.
The board originally posted is gold finger card. Consensus says remove the shield if at all possible but don't hurt yourself doing so. If all else fails you'll PROBABLY get gfc even with the shield but it's not guaranteed.

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 7:03 pm 
Site Admin

posted official reply in its own thread in the help category

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2