Welcome to Boardsortâ„¢ - Learn - Sell - Profit -

Learn to properly Sort, Sell, and Profit from your electronic scrap material.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:57 am

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 9:21 pm 

Hi folks...

Three questions..

1. Any value to a smart card?

2. What do I categorize a no socket laptop motherboard as?

3. I have about 60 pounds of laptop Li Ion batteries. What would be the least expensive way to ship to make selling feasible.

Thanks

Al

Attachments:
File comment: No Socket Laptop motherboard
20170523_210630.jpg
20170523_210630.jpg [ 3.98 MiB | Viewed 3927 times ]
File comment: Smart Card
20170523_210612.jpg
20170523_210612.jpg [ 166.44 KiB | Viewed 3927 times ]

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 9:36 pm 

Re: Question 3, USPS Flate Rate, Large Box? Runs $~19 though. If you stack the batteries right, no space, you can fit a pretty good amount.

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 12:23 am 

DO NOT SHIP Li Ion BATTERIES!

Unless you know what you are doing... and by that I mean knowing the regulations of shipping batteries. It is full on HazMat material. If you ship it wrong you can be held responsible for anything that goes wrong. If they find it improperly marked you can get fined... heavily!

These can short and explode... violently. You will need to find out all the proper markings and shipping procedures and wouldn't be a bad idea to read up on it.

HazMat material is not the kind of thing you want ship if you are unsure about something. I worked for a company that sent a 250mL testing sample of a liquid that was not properly packaged...when a forklift damaged the package and purple liquid spilled out, we had a lot of questions to answer and the fine was north of $8,000!

In short, you can ship these, but you better know how to properly C.Y.O.A.!

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 12:25 am 

oh, you smart card is probably peripheral (depending on whats on the other side though) and I believe socketless laptop MB's still go as large-socket... although I am not positive on that because I have never brought one in.

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 4:36 pm 
Site Admin

Oh no. Somebody stole my socket!

Mobo is now small socket in most cases of damaged laptop boards.
Smart reader is peripheral

Batteries, oh. Long lengthy discussions all over the place on the forums.
Here is my very basic (not responsible for anything) rundown
Tape all contacts TWICE. First cover one or two at a time with plastic scotch (hair) tape.
Then cover all of them in a single sheet of shipping tape. CLEAR shipping tape. Don't use brown or coloured tape. And NEVER paper.
Package batteries in a method where the contacts of one are nowhere near the contacts of any other one.
Battery packages MUST be marked as such on the outside, in most cases a minimum of one face (top/bottom) and one side.

Batteries are not allowed to fly.
So they need to be shipped via parcel post (not select), fedex ground, or ups ground... or sent by private carriers.
Know how many batteries are in the box, and the total weight of the batteries (not package weight).
They'll probably ask

Finally never put battery packages in a drop box. They MUST be handed to a person at a company location. That means go to ups, PO, etc . Don't ask for a pickup, big illegal no-no.
If you have a lot of them, many dozens, you may be required to fill out and pay for a hazmat transfer license. About $10-$25 in most states. They can do that on site for UPS and FedEx.

Generally if you follow those and listen to the rep at the shipping company and don't lie to anyone; you are more or less safe.
But as MLS said cover your arse,