Welcome to Boardsortâ„¢ - Learn - Sell - Profit -

Learn to properly Sort, Sell, and Profit from your electronic scrap material.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:18 am

Post subject: CD/DVD/Floppy Drives
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:29 pm 

Hi,

Just wanted to see if the boards had to be in the Optical drives? Do they accept them without boards for a lower price?

Post subject: Re: CD/DVD/Floppy Drives
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 2:42 pm 
Site Admin

They do require the boards for the complete drive payout. Unless you're bringing them in or have a flat shipment rate (e.g. 1/2 LTL) you're better off removing the boards and sending them, instead of the whole drives.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:21 pm 

Do they have a payout rate for incomplete that you are aware of? Similar to hard drives?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:42 pm 

I don't see one on this site, but another has them whole for less than 20c lb. Its not worth shipping at all. The math for cost to ship per LB vs. profit per LB would be in the negative dollars for me. Pull the boards just like HD's . Scrap the steel/aluminum/motors at your local yard and ship the boards to chris.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:05 pm 

I am not planning to ship them via the mail, but trying to determine a new strategy for them when I make a return trip to Ohio.

I just returned from driving a load out there. Compared to what I get paid around my area the trip was so worth it! I had just a little over 2 tons of stuff. Of that weight I had 431lbs of optical drives with boards in tact.

I did a calculation and if I had only the boards I would have gotten way more. Roughly $160 compared to the $69 I received. However I want to see if the drives without boards are worth anything. Since I will be renting a truck again the more I can jam in there the better even if it is only worth .05/lb

I am not sure I want to go any further into dismantling them other than pulling the board because I get such low values for scrap around my area.

Hopefully I made this clear because I would love to hear peoples thoughts on this.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:55 pm 

If its more profitable to tear them down, then I would absolutely do so. Im a long ways from Ohio, so I have to factor in price/lb to ship freight vs. profit per lb shipped. I have probably 50+ cd/dvd/floppy drives in the garage I need to get torn down, and another 50+ HDDs that need tearing down. If your close enough to drive the scrap in yourself, that is a huge help is keeping costs for transportation down. Im not sure what the payout for non-hard drives without the boards is. I would email chris and ask. If its within a cent or 2 of steel shred price, I would just send it to steel shred locally and use that space in your rental truck for more valuable scrap to take to chris.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:56 am 

Optical Drives without boards are not taken.

So I guess they are for scrap steel. Locally we get $80gt, so the 431 pounds could have netted me $15 in scrap steel.

Has anyone ever done a full break down of an Optical drive with values?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:13 pm 
Site Admin

Break down? Yep
It's in my what's inside series. part 2 I believe

Beyond the board: For desktop ones I pull the shell, remove the motor and laser assembly, and rest goes as shred.
I get different classes of cbm for those two parts.

Portable ones and laptop/thin device units I always dissect because they are almost always better than shred rate inside. Magnesium, aluminium, manganese, stainless (300 series), stainless (400 series). Etc.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:56 pm 

Great thread! Thank you for sharing it, and for making it!