Welcome to Boardsortâ„¢ - Learn - Sell - Profit -

Learn to properly Sort, Sell, and Profit from your electronic scrap material.
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:14 pm

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 2:42 pm 

Just some awkward component I came across.

Attachments:
20170806_131443.jpg
20170806_131443.jpg [ 1.92 MiB | Viewed 6993 times ]
20170806_131453.jpg
20170806_131453.jpg [ 1.84 MiB | Viewed 6993 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 2:52 pm 
Site Admin

I always toss those in peripheral when loose but tend to just leave them on the board.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:04 am 

Those are 3 channel convergence correction circuit IC's for video projectors in rear projection TV's. Normally there will be 2 of them in a RPTV.

lostinlodos, ...You might want to rethink how you handle those little gems. If you open one up you will find 6 small tin-plated square boxes with what looks like a "stone" on top of each one. Now, for the good part, as with life, most things of any value are hidden from us at first. If you scratch or cut through the tin coating on the boxes you will find that there's gold under the tin, quite a bit. If you remove, clean up and process those 6 boxes you will be surprised at how much gold you get!

Hard to give you exact weights because recovery rates will vary depending on the experience level of the person processing and the actual recovery process that person uses, but if done correctly you should end up with anywhere from 3 to 4 grams of gold

>lostinlodos, .... if you still want to toss them please let me know and I'll send you a pre-paid envelope or even a box (depending on how many you actually have) so you can toss them my way. Heck, if you have enough of them I'll even throw in a night on the town (dinner and movie) on me.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:32 pm 
Site Admin

About every 3-6 months I have a guy who dumps a few dozen boards on me with these. I've tried refining that gold in the past and came up with about half a gram.
I sent a few to my refinery and they said they came up with about .75-1.5 grams each. They use the SMGC, smelt melt gas condense, method so there's some loss there (we're not going into that here) but my guess would be between half and one and a half grams each. Some were considerably less, others on the higher end.

If you really want them and match Chris's then current peripheral rate I'd be happy to send them to you. Personally they're more trouble for me than they're worth for refining. I don't refine myself and they add to the already (excessively) detailed extensive paperwork my, otherwise wonderful, refiner requires.

Shoot me an email at gmail.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:05 am 

Interesting! Let me take a step back and add some clarity. I originally came across two of the 3CCCIC's when I recycled my RPTV. There was little info on the internet and no info as to what type of materials could be found in them.

I opened one up and the six stone topped boxes caught my eye. I pulled one, removed the stone and took a set of HD nail cutters to it. Never cut all the way through but did cut into it enough that he gold underlying was visible. I decided to process the one box to determine an approximate amount of gold that was recoverable. Based on the yield from that one box (which I thought was not too bad) I determined that a possible 3-4 gr. might be recovered from all 6. Made a mental note of it, stripped the remaining boxes from both chips, tossed them in a jar for future processing and moved on.

Like you said earlier, they really are a pain in the A$$ to work with so it has been very easy to keep putting other gold bearing items in front of those for processing. Your post has given me reason to question my original findings and I guess I will have to process a few more and either confirm or disallow what I believed to be an accurate statement.

Thank you for your reply and the information you shared. Last thing I want to do is spread mis-information. It will probably be a couple of weeks before I can report back as to what type of yield can be expected, but I will definitely post what I come up with to this thread when finished.

One thing I do wonder about and not sure if it would have any bearing on how much gold is recoverable from the chips and that is different manufactures. Far as I know there are at least 2-3 manufacturers who produced the chips originally (could be more, info is hard to find on these chips). I've noticed that some of the 3CCCIC have a different package then the ones I had. Not sure if the components used by the different manufacturers for these chips are industry standard and purchased from a third part for use in assembly of the 3CCCIC's or if they are in-house made or what.

If they are industry standard then there should be no variance as to how much gold each box will yield. If not industry standard and are in fact in-house made that could definitely affect how much gold one might expect depend on the "who" of the different 3CCCIC's.

Thanks again for your reply!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:34 am 

I know of the 3CCCIC's you are referring to, they are another strange item I have put away because I didn't know what to do with them. I could be wrong but I dont think these are 3CCCIC's. From what I can see, they have two sets of legs, one set on each side. The 3CCCIC's I have seen are only soldered with legs on one side.

The part number STK795-813 says it is an Amplifier IC Module, or a Transistor/Semiconductor.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:20 am 

Good catch flippy! You're right, 3CCCIC's have a single set of legs. The package in the picture is very similar to the 3CCCIC's package other than the second set of legs. I missed that second leg set

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:55 am 
Site Admin

Thanks flippy , you're absolutely right. Which of course negates the entire conversation to some degree. ;)

Darksky, I'm not sure what the difference is. They came up all over the place when I had them refined. Rather surprised me how different they were.
They still work out fully refined to anywhere from $5-$15+ each but it's just way more work than I'm willing to do myself.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:39 pm 

O.K is this the 3CCCIC's you guys are talking about? These are both soldered on one leg only.

Attachments:
20170823_143252.jpg
20170823_143252.jpg [ 1.06 MiB | Viewed 6831 times ]
20170823_143259.jpg
20170823_143259.jpg [ 977.48 KiB | Viewed 6831 times ]