Welcome to Boardsortâ„¢ - Learn - Sell - Profit -

Learn to properly Sort, Sell, and Profit from your electronic scrap material.
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:18 am

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 2:05 am 

Hi all,

New forum member posting for the first time.

This all started out innocently enough. Many, many years ago, I started recycling. A few years ago someone suggested I turn my metals in to a local scrap yard and get paid for some of what I was, up until that point, throwing into either the aluminum, metal, glass, plastic and paper/cardboard bins at the local land fill.

I looked into it, found one nearby and so began the journey to the present day. I'm now picking up everything I can get my hands on. Picked up sorting bins, encroached on floor space in my shed and home, with much more recyclable material than I had imagined previously. It has turned in to a wonderful hobby, one in which my wife and I enjoy doing as a team. And while not paid handsomely by any means, does put gas in the vehicles, a dinner out here and there and maybe some groceries on occasion.

Anyway, I'm here with questions and a desire to continue to learn. I've read pretty much most of the posts on this forum over the past couple of weeks. Discovered the gold refining forum, determined I have no desire to get involved with separating metals from boards or other materials. But determined to put some extra money in my pocket and perhaps, if fortunate enough, sell some boards to BoardSort while enjoying our hobby.

Recently, I was fortunate enough to pick up several mid '70s to mid '80s pieces of Hewlett Packard test equipment. More than the gold on the boards, SMA connectors and other components, I have a desire to collect, for collector's sake, many of the HP CPUs and various other ICs from the boards. Being an electronics tech, I've no problem removing the components of interest. My question is, does anyone know where I might find a somewhat complete list of HP part numbers relating to what the HP CPUs and ancillary HP components actually are? As most, if not all of them have HPs part numbers on them.

Sorry for being so long winded. I promise, future posts will be much shorter. I will be posting up pictures of some of my finds as I have questions. Looks like a great bunch of people here on the board as well as over at the goldrefiningforum.com Looking forward to many years here if things go as I planned. I've also registered over at goldrefiningforum and will possibly post over there if someone can point me in the direction regarding the Hewlett Packard parts.

My handle comes from a car I owned, a '71 Plymouth Fury III, 2 door that was a complete rust bucket. Fun car.

Thank you for taking the time to respond.

Regards,

RustyFuryIII

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 3:31 am 
Site Admin

I can, slowly pull together a list of most of the items you may be looking for.
I collect myself, extensively.
Depending on what your looking for with a slightly more detailed description I'd be able to atleast help get you going. I've put together one of the larger parts databases in this country, quite accidentally and inadvertently in the beginning. It's now surpassed 5tb of data and has outgrown it's current raid nas. I'm putting together a new server to home it alone but unfortunately the 6-stage raid controller I'm waiting on was coming from Huston. So as soon as it's up and running again; it's currently 12 hard drives sitting on a shelf, I'll do a dump for anything you're looking for.
A bit more specific being do you want CPUs? Do processors (i.e. The 8K family having the 8087. 8089 etc).
Did you want actual HP components developed in house or rebranded materials as well such as the many sun chips with an HP logo and part number stamped on it. Do you want Agilent parts included? There's many of those too, all technically HP parts. And how far back?
I'm quite sure some of the stuff from the late 60s is going to cost a house to buy, is my point on that.
So something more targeted would help get me started.

I've very little to say on the gold refiners forum. If you want to refine and pull in extra money, that's the place to go. My issue with the site, the users, is the vast majority don't care about history. The last time I was on it I was reading about a guy refining a bunch of old "chips", 4040 CPUs. It made me PHYSICALLY ill. What a destruction of history.
:shudders:

But I digress.
Anyway, post back. Let me know what your looking for and I'll post and let you know as soon as I get everything together and up and running again. And we can go from there.
To make sure none of that inadvertently discouraged you, I started my first CPU set with my all time favourite, the ZiLOG Z8000. By far the most advanced 16-bit cpu ever made. Thing I didn't realise at the time; zylog clean room cloned every major chip ever through the 90s. intel, AMD, Motorola, Sparc, ARM...!
My four active collections are Intel, AMD, the SPARC instruction set: manufacturer agnostic, and the aforementioned ZiLOG/Zilog chips.
I've got over 40,000 ICs now for the sets, alum mounted, some tossed in buckets. Never ever give up!
I just finally finished my removable magnetic media (floppy) collection after 20 years of collecting. Adding DHD and the 20 inch magnetic dish (yes dish). Making 37 different removable replaceable disks spanning 1943-2015. Including two prototypes. And I spent a full week on cloud 9 with the final piece. Framing it, that's another thread entirely!
Good luck; and welcome. At least here you'll find a few other collectors as well.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 3:34 am 
Site Admin

Silly iPhone, stop making ZILOG Zylog, they're different companies.