Welcome to Boardsortâ„¢ - Learn - Sell - Profit -

Learn to properly Sort, Sell, and Profit from your electronic scrap material.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:03 pm

Post subject: LCD tv
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:01 pm 

Was wondering.... I've scrapped several LCD TVs as of late. Behind the glass, behind the loose, thin sheets of plastic, there is a thick pane of dense clear material. What type of plastic is this? Would it be suitable for outdoor use say for a greenhouse or skylight in a shed?

Thank you,

RustyFuryIII

Post subject: Re: LCD tv
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:24 pm 

I think you are talking about the Fresnel lens, and no, I would not use it as a green house material... they focus light in very short distances, so you could walk through a hot spot if you are not careful or they are not set up right.

There are some interesting you tube videos out there About them.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:41 pm 
Site Admin

Definitely not a good idea for a greenhouse. They do all sorts of weird things to light. Fire is not unlikely, and toasting your veggies is not good to begin with, like shining a magnifying glass on a leaf.
As for what they are made of most are one of three patented polymer blends and I normally put them with my type 7 (other) plastic for recycling.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:06 am 

Hi all and thank you for the quick replies.

I'm quite familiar with the Fresnel lense behind a projection TV. There is not, as far as I know, a Fresnel lense behind a LCD TV. This piece of thick plastic, roughly 1/4" to 3/8" thick without any change in thickness or optical clarity, is crystal clear. Any image viewed thru this piece looks exactly as it would without it. It does not focus light or blurr images at all. Looks just like a really thick piece of glass which I suspect is made of plastic. Just wondering if it's durable enough to withstand the elements, sun, ozone etc.

Being new to this, I may very well be wrong about the absence of a Fresnel lense being used in an LCD TV, I will research more so I know what it is I'm talking about.

Regards,

RustyFuryIIi

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:06 pm 
Site Admin

It depends. I don't know the correct terms but there are two types of thick plastic in the backs of those screens. Flat smooth ones and a type with bumps.
The type with bumps may look clear but does change and focus/scatter light of different frequencies. I know this not because it looks strange, it's clear. But because I tried making a semi box with a bunch and mixed walls with chicken wire to keep the neighbourhood cats out of my catnip garden. I burned the small crop with the first day.

I don't imagine you're going to have an elemental problem with it though. My abs and plexiglass buyer doesn't take them because it doesn't "cut" with butanal. So it should be resistant to acid rain and other environmental issues.
Materially they're the same plastic blend for both types.

But after my issues in trying I'm not willing to just say go forth and prosper and all that stuff.