Welcome to Boardsort™ - Learn - Sell - Profit -

Learn to properly Sort, Sell, and Profit from your electronic scrap material.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:20 pm

Post subject: Toshiba T1200XE
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:01 pm 

Just found one of these, trying to get it to power on but the original P/S is shot. Thought I would ask you guys before I put any significant time into it, it looks like one of the oldest laptops I have come across so far. Is it worth piecing apart or are these oldies worth more as a complete functional unit?

Post subject: Re: Toshiba T1200XE
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:03 am 
Site Admin

From a computer stand point doa I’d normally pay around $5-$10; working around $25-$50 depending on the os.
There’s two variations of this, single board and matched dual board which has a separated power distribution board. Capacitors are the usual no boot culprit.
If you don’t mind poking around tech style pop the shell and check the capacitors.
I wouldn’t put much work into it thoug beyond that.
Unless you’ve got a branded set of CP/M disks you’d never get close to the higher end with dos or no disks at all. And the disks are half the value so if anything beyond popped capacitors I’d sell what disks you have for it and scrap the unit. These are more trouble than they’re worth.

Scrap wise:
It’s got an 8086 but being a c variety it’s probably not caped so 486 class.
Memory is dip socketed so you’ve probably got a telco board and a midgrade on the paired units, a large socket mobo for single board units. If you’re lucky somebody upgraded the cpu for a better (fancier) gold cap variant, even an original 86

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:20 pm 

You nailed it, the caps are all blown. You just saved me a bunch of time. Eventually I hope to come across one of those "Holy Grail" old computers. Lost, I started going through your past posts on hard drive identification and board identification, now I'm piecing apart anything that looks old looking for the markers you pointed out. My warehouse work area looks like something out of "A Beautiful Mind" with all the info I'm printing out. You ever make it to the Milwaukee area?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:21 pm 
Site Admin

If you want to use it:
Replacing the caps on these are fairly straightforward, desolder the old ones and solder in the new ones.
Or find a tv repair guy to do it for $15-$20. But again without CPM you’re probably under the $50 mark on the higher end of sales. Branded CPM. Look for the colour shifting logo, like an early poor man’s hologram.
I’d offer to repair it but you’re looking at $25 to send it and $25 to get it back. (In one piece that is.)
Bottom line I tend to suggest outside of do it yourself tech play, if it’s under $50-$100 it’s probably not worth it in the end.

Holy grail? DEC and IBM mini computers from the 70s. Hundreds of gold cap ICs! Unfortunately they’re usually nickel legs and soldered so either spend hours on a reflow board for The pentium class result or take gold cap chip board. :(
If you’ve got space and transport for them an old mainframe is where you make real major money. Businesses want them gone. I’ve had people PAY me to get rid of one. Three or four com truck loads to move a larger one.
But you’re into thousands in scrap in those earliest units.
Ti IBM and HP scientific calculators from the 70s are usually cell phone class boards and cos $1 at thrift shops. Fix n Flip them for $50 on ebay.
Finding a grail is much like finding The Grail. You see photos here and there and millions of drawings and sketches but you never actually see one! There’s so many chip variations that you really can’t bet for sure on anything without opening it and looking.
There are dead giveaways to better than average chances though which I’ve covered extensively throughout the forum threads here.

I’d Love to get my hands on a DC-50 just to play with it! A whole 10 instructions per minute! But that’s not actually Digital by modern terms. But to FEEL the electrical field coming off one. 1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1=n in just one minute.
Actually I’ve always wanted to get to one of those terminals that are connected to a old working main and input
Set: x=1/0
Lol. Wonder what would happen?!?!!!

I get up that way once or twice a year. Not often though and less this last few years. Used to all the time though.