Welcome to Boardsort™ - Learn - Sell - Profit -

Learn to properly Sort, Sell, and Profit from your electronic scrap material.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:41 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Odds and ends
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:07 pm 
Site Admin

no
not really, it's tin not silver

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:52 am 

Alright so whats what in these little buggers

Attachments:
IMG_3402.JPG
IMG_3402.JPG [ 1.13 MiB | Viewed 3766 times ]
IMG_3401.JPG
IMG_3401.JPG [ 838.42 KiB | Viewed 3766 times ]
IMG_3400.JPG
IMG_3400.JPG [ 1.12 MiB | Viewed 3766 times ]
IMG_3399.JPG
IMG_3399.JPG [ 1.11 MiB | Viewed 3766 times ]
IMG_3398.JPG
IMG_3398.JPG [ 1.57 MiB | Viewed 3766 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:48 pm 

looks like a copper coil...

but why are you tearing things down so far? tearing apart little tiny components is not really worth the effort... you spend hours chasing pennies at best.

It is one thing if you are curious about something and want to see how it works, i get that, even guilty of it myself. Once you get to breaking down individual components I think you may be going a bit far for the return on your time invested.

If I may offer a friendly bit of advice, stop tearing things apart until you go and check with your local scrap yard(s) and see what they will offer you for those (low grade) boards whole. See what you can get for whole boards vs. components and do some calculations... you might find out that you are spending a boatload of time for little to no extra money... you might even be loosing money!

I used to do the same back before I really got into it... but when i sat down and figured out how much I made as opposed to how much I would make just bringing in low grade stuff as is, I was working for $0.10 an hour... and that hardly made any cents to me. (and yes that horrible pun was intended :P )

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:58 pm 

well i knew that was a cooper coil :-)

I only had a few of these particular pieces -- moreso was curious about the rest of it...had been cutting some recent components down for silver and wasn't sure if any of the contacts in these things had silver in them because I'm still learning what to look for (looks like there's copper, brass, and some silvery stuff which I dont know if is nickel, steel, aluminum or silver)

again not many but it only took a few seconds...and any of the low grade picking is more of an educational and destressing tool for me anyway...but if there are higher-value components on them I want to learn how to identify those.

Locally nobody buys e-waste and low grade boards only go as shred...which isn't worth it for me in the first place...but if there are a few easy, small components to pick off and save for some day down the line that have I higher return i can hang onto those.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:19 pm 

Merkman wrote:
any of the low grade picking is more of an educational and destressing tool for me anyway....

i can relate to that :P

What is your 'shred' rate... the yards by me have a 'steel shred' rate (at about 5-6 cents/lb), is that the kind of rate you are talking about? In which case it is easier to justify the break down of the low grade boards. It would be relativily easy to go after any large transducers/tranformers, IC chips and aluminum... other then that, there really isnt much of value on low grade boards.

Silver contacts are usually found in switches that are high voltage or high heat applications... and even then not worth much. A gram of silver is $0.55 if pure, so silver plated stuff and alloyed stuff is hardly worth going after unfortunately. And to be honest, the only place that I have found silver in quantities worth recovering is in the brazing of bonding wires in IC chips... and only because I need to get the silver out of solution to refine the gold.

I would say that if you are pulling off the copper coils, the aluminum heat sinks and IC chips if there are any, that you are getting 80-90% of the value on low grade brown boards... they very rarely have much in the way of gold or silver that are easily recoverable.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:31 pm 
Site Admin

Silver switch
Silver contact
Hammel steel bracket and nickel/inconel pins
Copper bracket with steel peg
Cbm#1 (if you have a lot of those I’d politely argue for #1 as the various materials are valuable, don’t take less than #2)!

I’ll pull this stuff and have worked out CBM #1 at both my nonF yards. As long as I bring over a pound.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:42 pm 

lostinlodos wrote:
Cbm#1 (if you have a lot of those I’d politely argue for #1 as the various materials are valuable, don’t take less than #2)!

I don't have a lot so moot point regardless but my yard only does a "motors" category...no #1/#2 and the payout is kinda crummy lol...I think it's like 10-20 cents can't remember...basically only a little better than steel shred.

But all that aside -- I'm relatively new to scrapping so maybe you can help me figure out what normal is...my yard when I bring in copper, brass, aluminum, etc doesn't state how they are classifying it. Guy just weighs it, puts something in the computer, tells me the grand total when everything is done which I have to go pick up at the office which is where I see the detailed printout of weights and classes. A time or two I've received dirty brass on clean yellow, that kind of thing but it's long after I've left the guy who decides it and my stuff has been dumped in with everyone elses. Is this normal? Should I ask as we go? I'm actually looking at switching yards for a lot of it, anyway...the other one breaks down a lot more categories (which, while requires more sorting, also pays out more as a result). A little off topic but since you mentioned "politely arguing"....

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:46 pm 
Site Admin

mls26cwru wrote:
I would say that if you are pulling off the copper coils, the aluminum heat sinks and IC chips if there are any, that you are getting 80-90% of the value on low grade brown boards... they very rarely have much in the way of gold or silver that are easily recoverable.

I agree here. I’ll add that many yards will pay 10-20 cents a pound for aluminium canister liquid capacitors. The small tin can looking things.
Silver in consumer class devices is a relatively lost cause for scrappers, even hobby refiners.
I will snag up gold and pull the tiny bit of rhodium from hard drives since I’m already scrapping them out, in less than a minute a drive. Stuff like this on the other hand goes whole for cbm. And no I don’t cut the silver off.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:50 pm 

still learning :-) appreciate all the feedback!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:03 pm 

from what you are saying, I would go to the other yard... It sounds like the first yard is interested in streamlining operations and limiting the interaction. I would go the other yard and try talking with them and asking questions. If they are worth their salt, they will talk to you and help answer your questions and give you some advice and tell you why what class is what it is. This leads to a better and more profitable relationship for you and them. There are yards here that pay more than the one I go to, but the one I go to always treats me well, helps unloading, answers any questions i have, and even returns my bins to my car.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next