Welcome to Boardsort™ - Learn - Sell - Profit -

Learn to properly Sort, Sell, and Profit from your electronic scrap material.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:36 pm

Post subject: Re: Small hard drive
PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:44 pm 
Site Admin

Standard SATA. Internally just the standard SATA cables will work. Externally you would want a 2.5” compatible tray, dock, case, or adapter.
Usb 3 and eSATA work best these days. Externally everything made in the last 5 years or so is safe to plug in after the OS is loaded. Be it windows XP-10 or Linux, just head to the (my)computer folder and right click on the new drive icon.
If your in the majority you’re disks partitions will be normal and all you have to do is click format. Ntfs for Windows it exf/ext on Linux.
If you opt to go this far and finish, or, have non-standard partitions and want to keep going post back when your done and and I’ll post on the steps of running a surface scan in the background or manually managing partitions.

And thanks for letting me know on missed posts. I’ll look into it ASAP.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:51 pm 

No longer than I have been here I know it's not like you to miss postings.

My wife understands what you're saying with the hard drives, I think we are going to check them out and see what happens.

Thanks for all the help :)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:27 pm 
Site Admin

If you run into non standard partitions or don’t have the disk load at all you can use the drive manager in the administrative tools on windows.
If you can’t load it in Linux or don’t have the administration tools in Windows (home etc) gparted is available on both platforms for free. Or as a bootable live operating system.
Gparted can even fix the evil “nested partition” setup found on some manufacturers computers like HP and some security systems. Allowing you to use the entire space of the hard drive as a single disk again.
So far gparted is the only free tool I’ve found that can see nested partitions on a running Windows system.
If you pick up a hot swap eSATA or usb3 dock, coupled with gparted you could blast through this 500g drives from repartition and “quick” format through sector scan in about 30 minutes or less per drive.