Welcome to Boardsort™ - Learn - Sell - Profit -

Learn to properly Sort, Sell, and Profit from your electronic scrap material.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:52 pm

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:01 pm 

So, Im a little confused about slot processors and gold fingered cards. In this photo I am pretty sure that the top two boards are gold fingered cards because they have the metal bracket, a gold finger, and no processor. The middle two are slot processors because they have the gold fingers that fit in the slot, they have a processor, and they dont have the metal bracket and associated receptacles. The bottom two are the type I am confused on. They have the gold fingers, they have a processor, and they have the metal bracket and associated receptacles. So which grade are they? Thanks guys!

Attachments:
cards vs slot processors.jpg
cards vs slot processors.jpg [ 4.95 MiB | Viewed 3069 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:42 pm 
Site Admin

Well, techno they ALL have a processor on them. The intel on the top left and arm on top right
It’s the card design that makes the difference

Top two look like serial or modem boards, gold finger cards
Middle two are slot processors
Bottom two are video cards, gold finger cards.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:40 am 

So they have to be that design to go into the slot processor grade?

And basically anything with a metal bracket is a gold finger card grade?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:51 am 

this is a general help guide not the rule of thumb for everything but heres a way to tell what is what....

*normally slot procesers are in a plastic card shell ....take them out you get what you have in picture

*slot processers will not have ports on them to plug in other stuff(see your pic i edited ^ )

cards whith metal brackets/gold fingers that come from a pc and have ports like the ones i circled in the pic will must cases co in gold fingers grade (THERE ARE EXPTIONS TO THIS)

*if your unsure postem up here thats why the board is here.and one of us will point you in the right direction

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:18 pm 
Site Admin

Evil is helpful as always. I believe there’s a few hundred posted ‘exceptions’ to the rules on slot processors.
The primary thing that helps identify a slot processor is they ALWAYS have elongated gold contacts. Most have two offset rows (see photo) like yours do. Others will have a long set (length of yours) on one side and a shorter set on the back.
They never have any ports with two unique exceptions.
Some Sparc cards have a simm port on them. I’ve seen photos but never seen one in person, very rare.
The other is 128-bit RISC CPUs which often have a 9-pin straight line port. Used to connect two processor board (the board they plug into) levels to each other and sync the clocks. Or something like that. 128-bit is way beyond my experience.

Oh, btw your design is called a tear drop matrix. Two offset rows of squares is called a cube matrix. Longer rectangles are called a box matrix.
The bizarre circle design from VIA is called dot matrix (yes it’s a pun). They don’t work half the time, much like printers. AMD made a design for military and industrial laptops called a scythe matrix. Looks like many tiny gold moons.
They slipped into a low angled port on the board like laptop ram and literally locked in.

As for gold finger cards. Not all have ports. Or brackets for that matter.
Basically if it has a gold finger, has ports and/OR ICs, or a processor, and is not: ram, slot processor; it’s a gold finger card or telco.

Hope this helps more than it confuses.

Attachments:
EE190951-A272-4FE5-BB4A-9B42B4F80D50.jpeg
EE190951-A272-4FE5-BB4A-9B42B4F80D50.jpeg [ 351.86 KiB | Viewed 3031 times ]