Welcome to Boardsort™ - Learn - Sell - Profit -

Learn to properly Sort, Sell, and Profit from your electronic scrap material.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:53 pm

Post subject: What category?
PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 10:52 pm 

Is the container go as gold pins?
Do you take these hard drive parts as is?
Do you take these bits of ribbon with gold plating on them?

Attachments:
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 2.44 MiB | Viewed 2136 times ]
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 4.06 MiB | Viewed 2136 times ]
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 2.53 MiB | Viewed 2136 times ]

Post subject: Re: What category?
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 3:34 pm 
Site Admin

The bin at the bottoms gold pin connectors, see below

The middle bin is a mix. The drive heads they don’t buy but if you’re looking at maximising values there’s a post on hard drive read arms and heads in the general forums about breaking down and recovering everything else, aluminium, copper, brass, zinc, gold, rhodium. Etc
The little ICs on the wires attached to plastic, pull the wire gently off the plastic, and trim the ic from the wire. You’ve then got mixed wire and an ic chip.

The top bin is gold wire contracts. The gold ones on both sides can be trimmed tust slightly into the gold. And added to gold fingers if you have more than a pound of that class.
Trimmed single side ones go in gold finger ram. As do thoroughly trimmed ink cart cables.

Now, this pin connectors: the male ones. I usually snip the 3 or 4 middle puns and put the connector in a slip jaw (or lock jaw) set of pliers and squeeze. Plastic breaks and pins fall out. Usually works and I toss them in pin connectors when it doesn’t.
The female ones. Use a pair of shears or bold cutters to snip the two ends off and (if necessary) twist. Sometimes you get a single sheet of gold plate with round indents, sometimes you have dozens of individual plated connectors.
Anything that doesn’t come apart on the first try I toss in gold pin connectors.
Anything that came out of all those connectors that has no plastic they will take as ‘pins’.

The few seconds of effort to pull pins is worth the trouble once you get the hang of it. I can do a few hundred in under 15-20 minutes.
But anything that doesn’t work on the first try just bin it as connectors. Any extra effort isn’t worth it from a time/value standpoint.