Welcome to Boardsort™ - Learn - Sell - Profit -

Learn to properly Sort, Sell, and Profit from your electronic scrap material.
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:19 am

Post subject: ic chip info
PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:24 am 

what give these plastic ic chips their value
and also are the cermic ic chips worth more the ones with the windows on the top

Post subject: Re: ic chip info
PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:23 am 

I hope no one minds me adding to this existing thread, but it seemed like the efficient thing to do.

Are the following pieces also a type of IC chip?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 7:55 am 
Site Admin

ryanh425 wrote:
what give these plastic ic chips their value
and also are the cermic ic chips worth more the ones with the windows on the top

The value in IC chips is found inside of them. The actual value varies from IC to IC. Currently we are paying $5 per pound because it has been determined that it is an average value of all those varying IC chips when mixed together.

Considering we price the ICs on an average value, that means that the ceramic and windowed ones (eproms) pay the the same as non-windowed IC chips.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:12 am 
Site Admin

kandksalvage wrote:
I hope no one minds me adding to this existing thread, but it seemed like the efficient thing to do.

Are the following pieces also a type of IC chip?

Hello kandksalvage,

No, we do not buy those as IC chips. They are actually known as PNP switching transistors. In fact we do not have a category for those as we have not found them to be of a value (to us anyway).

Thanks for the look!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:33 am 

Quote:
No, we do not buy those as IC chips. They are actually known as PNP switching transistors. In fact we do not have a category for those as we have not found them to be of a value (to us anyway).

At least now I know what they are. Those things keep popping up when I search IC chips but I had my doubts. For inquiring minds, I am saving them anyway and hope to develop an efficient way to break them apart. The metal part of them are either copper or tinned copper so they would add up over time and possibly worth the effort of removing enough of the plastic material to get #2 copper price out of them.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:19 pm 

I think he means like this, I just can't see a easy way to harvest them.

Attachments:
DSC08872.JPG
DSC08872.JPG [ 570 KiB | Viewed 20059 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:57 pm 
Site Admin

Mr. Gold,

In your picture those are all IC's except for the chrome boxed ones. Those are crystals/oscillators and do not have a value (to us that is).

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:15 pm 
Reputable Seller

Older IC chips can be pulled out of their sockets, but for the others, you will need to find a way to de-solder them. I'm thinking a sand bath, but don't know if the temperature of the sand bath will be able to get hot enough to melt the solder, and the sand bath may also de-solder components that you do not want removed.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:10 pm 

kgryczan wrote:
Older IC chips can be pulled out of their sockets, but for the others, you will need to find a way to de-solder them. I'm thinking a sand bath, but don't know if the temperature of the sand bath will be able to get hot enough to melt the solder, and the sand bath may also de-solder components that you do not want removed.

I just slice down the sides of them with a razor knife and pluck them right off. I'm always looking for a new/better idea tough.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 11:43 pm 

The smaller ones with fine wires/solder connections I use the razor knife method, for the older ones with pretty beefy connections I use a cordless dremel with a cut off wheel. I cut one side the rock em back and fourth til the other side breaks off.