Welcome to Boardsortâ„¢ - Learn - Sell - Profit -

Learn to properly Sort, Sell, and Profit from your electronic scrap material.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:37 pm

Post subject: Is this silver?
PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 12:15 pm 

This white piece is on a small board at end of ray tube in a tv. Bottom, right corner of photo you can see the contacts found inside. It looks like silver to me and I been saving them till I could find the right place to ask the question.

Attachments:
100_3199.JPG
100_3199.JPG [ 1.57 MiB | Viewed 10446 times ]

Keep an eye out for printer/toner cartridges while you're scrapping. [url]TonerBuyer.com[/url] will pay you cash for many of them while providing a pre-paid shipping label. I don't own the place or get a commission. Just like to brag on legit biz.

Post subject: Re: Is this silver?
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 3:43 am 

http://www.scrapmetalforum.com/forum.php Might be a better place to ask It is full of people that love to take apart components like that. I feel that if they is any silver it would only be plated with silver. Silver is to soft a metal to be practical for connecter it would deform when placed on the CRT. Keep in mind back when that part was invented silver was still being use in photography and far more expensive then it is today. The price of silver today is only $20.88 an ounce http://www.jmbullion.com/silver/ I do not think there could be enough silver on those sockets to justify the amount of time it would take to extract them. I would just throw the ones you collected so far into your brass bin and cash out.

Post subject: Re: Is this silver?
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:46 am 

Thank you for a reply and link. I know that silver is used for contacts in many applications, to include high quality video, but with prices tanked like this perhaps not worth too much trouble scrapping them today.

Keep an eye out for printer/toner cartridges while you're scrapping. [url]TonerBuyer.com[/url] will pay you cash for many of them while providing a pre-paid shipping label. I don't own the place or get a commission. Just like to brag on legit biz.