Welcome to Boardsortâ„¢ - Learn - Sell - Profit -

Learn to properly Sort, Sell, and Profit from your electronic scrap material.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:48 pm

Post subject: Copper Heat Sink
PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 9:28 pm 

I'm brand new to e-scrapping and using boardsoart and I am assembling my first box to send. I have some of these heat sinks which I believe are copper because they are very dense/heavy. However the legs appear to be aluminum and maybe underneath the cpu might be a piece of aluminum. Does anyone have experience with this and does Boardsoart pay the full copper value?

picture share

Of course the fan will be removed. Sorry the picture is bad but my lighting sucks

Post subject: Re: Copper Heat Sink
PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 10:41 pm 

I don't think you'd wanna waste shipping on copper. I live an hour away, It would make sense for me to sell them driving there, but to mail out a piece of copper, I wouldn't. Actually you'll get more at your scrap yard. I've not run across many copper heatsinks really, but save those for the local scrapyard, I would.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 11:21 pm 

Take a flat head screw driver and pop off the cpu, it will sell as green fiber with metal.

For the legs on the heatsink, I normally break em off with either pliers or vise grips, they are steel legs. Once they are removed, you get full copper price at the scrapyard.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 9:02 am 
Reputable Seller

When I was at boardsort earlier this year, Chris said that they do not make a whole lot selling aluminum and copper purchased from their customers. Their main focus is on e-waste.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 9:04 am 
Reputable Seller

As for the heat sink itself, I have had two similar to it that I had pulled from a server and the steel posts that screw into the motherboard I was able to remove by clipping the plastic holder which makes the posts captive screws. Once removed, the screws fell out and I had two nice pieces of #2 copper.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 9:21 am 

Ya,I get $2.50/lb for #2 copper here in Youngstown, boardsort only pays $2.25. So my advice would be to keep only e waste for boardsort, and aluminum, copper etc for a local scrapyard. And in my experience I wanna add these boards and things are very durable, use as screwdriver as was said and pop that CPU off of it. It takes alot to damage most of this stuff. Right now the box I'm prepping to go out is 4lbs gold memory, 2lbs logic boards, 8oz of trimmed slots, 1lb of metal top CPUs, 1oz black fiber, 3 oz grewb brown fiber, 3oz pentium ceramic, 3oz no pin CPUs, and 2 oz 386/486. All this Im fitting into a $13 flat rate box from usps, and its something like 7.5 lbs and a $105.00 payout. But me using any of that space for copper would really make it more expensive to ship. Sew my point bud?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 6:55 pm 

I appreciate everyone's help and advice. The only reason I was going to ship them to boardsort (versus scrapyard) was to fill up the box I already have since I will have a little extra space and it seemed like a waste of a trip to the scrapyard since I don't have anything else. Of course because they are so heavy I might want to avoid them anyways cuz they could do some damage if they get loose.

I think I'm going to try them on ebay until I get enough materials to go to the scrap yard and then if it hasn't sold I'll chop off the legs and go to the yard with it.

Thanks again.