Welcome to Boardsort™ - Learn - Sell - Profit -

Learn to properly Sort, Sell, and Profit from your electronic scrap material.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:04 pm

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:01 am 

I have discovered that grading boards with gold fingers isn't as easy as it seems. I have the usual having the metal attachment bracket that goes in the computer tower, and then I have "motherboards" that also have the gold fingers, and some even have fingers on two sides of the board. Then there are the double and triple layers of contact surface, as in slot processors, but then I have run across a few large boards,16x20 inch which have the gold fingers. Like wise, I have some from the early 80's which have practically nothing but the gold fingers, and then solder trails to where the phone lines were soldered to the board. and still others that have six heavy transformers, and nothing else except the gold fingers. How would you grade the following two boards, or should I trim the gold fingers and toss the rest of the board? First up, why, Otis Elevator of course, from 1977.

Attachments:
IMG_4031.JPG
IMG_4031.JPG [ 2.2 MiB | Viewed 2919 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:05 am 

No chips on this one
Attachment:
IMG_4029.JPG
IMG_4029.JPG [ 2.59 MiB | Viewed 2918 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 3:04 pm 
Site Admin

Gold fingers cards
The easy one here is what the category intends. ISA, pci, PCIe, PCIx, NuBus... etc. These are what they are. Including the 22” long PCIx cards from IBM.
They have a gold finger on the long side and often external connectors perpendicular to the finger on a short side.

Server interconnection cards and modules
Have a long finger on the short side. Excluding power and battery boards will also always be gold finger card class. You MUST remove ALL trays, brackets, and metal housings from these for GFC class.
Above battery boards go as peripheral WITH the finger attached. Remove the batteries before shipping
Gold finger power boards should have a photo posted. They range from mid grade to peripheral

Gold finger data bus cards
These will have 4 or more gold pin connectors on the card, a gold finger, and a gold pin external connector. Multi channel sata, scsi, and sas, cards often jump to telco.

Shunts, terminators
Small cards; gold finger, no ICs and a bunch of copper coils or ferrite towers on the card. Peripheral with the finger attached.

Bridges
Two gold fingers, a bare board in between, nothing on them. Short ones under a few inches, and/or with complete length fingers are clean gold fingers. Long ones, 5 inches or more, are gold finger cards

Multi layer fingers.
As you noted, includes slot processors, memory boards, etc.
Almost always better than GFC class.

Ram
is self explanatory

Computer Motherboards,
Trim the fingers

Server motherboards
Larger than 12x12
Post a photo

Everything else post a photo.

Gold may be atomically light, but it’s molecularly heavy so don’t be discouraged. Fingers add up fast.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 3:05 pm 
Site Admin

Power board on top, mid grade: trim the fingers
Relay board, peripheral, leave the fingers on, remove the tray.