Welcome to Boardsort™ - Learn - Sell - Profit -

Learn to properly Sort, Sell, and Profit from your electronic scrap material.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:18 am

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 6:48 pm 

What kind of cpus would these be? Also, would it be more profitable to remove the aluminum spreader?

Is this ram still considered ram? Are these blanks?

Li ion batteries. Does the cellphone battery category have to be only cellphone batteries? GPS batteries? Camera batteries? What are the rules for this category/laptop battery category?

Attachments:
20180728_171603.jpg
20180728_171603.jpg [ 4.64 MiB | Viewed 2618 times ]
20180728_172233.jpg
20180728_172233.jpg [ 4.52 MiB | Viewed 2618 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 2:35 pm 
Site Admin

The Sempron is green brown fibre.
The rest are green/brown fibre WITH metal if they have pins, and pinless if the do not have pins.
This style ram blank will go as peripheral so you can trim the fingers and get clean gold finger rate for them (the remaining board is midgrade then).

Ram blanks where the finger connector is the full length of the card such as SODIMM and GDDR(n) {icn-simm} will often get gold finger card. So good to post photos of that stuff.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 2:42 pm 

Would the old computers not run properly without the blanks to fill empty spots?

Do you know anything about the battery questions?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 3:27 pm 

Can't answer the battery or Ram questions but the question about removing the heat spreader on the CPUs I can share my experience.

The short of it, I'd leave them on. The long:

The heat spreaders on the green CPUs are usually copper with another metal plated onto it. If you take enough off you'll notice some will even have a gold plating underneath.

For awhile I was removing the spreaders and selling locally to cut down on the volume to get more CPUs into a box when I shipped. I don't have the numbers but I would have made more if I had left the spreaders on the CPUs at the time. You are after all taking off a considerable amount of weight by removing them.

Also, the actual chip will often break off the green fiber part of the CPU and remain on the heat spreader if you try to remove the spreader, which may affect the price you get.

The only benefit I can think of is from a shipping perspective if you're trying to cut down on weight or volume or the ratio of the two, I decided it wasn't beneficial enough for me so I no longer remove them.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:21 pm 
Site Admin

Sort forgot about the battery question when I came back to this today.
Small batteries that are some level or wet or gel Lithium based batteries and smaller than 4-6 inches on a side will go as long as:

*Must have three or more gold contacts
*must not be dry cell
*must not have a metal case
*must not have a metal side on any side

Anything larger will generally fall into the laptop battery class as long as *’d needs are covered.

Blanks are found on any older system that had more than two CPU ports
Be it ram, slot processors. Some systems with Enhanced PCI Xtended cards had blank card requirements.
They required paired sockets. A blank with fingers creates a “ghost” card. The computer thinks there’s something in there.
This mostly stems from the IDE (XT/AT) bus and the way sub channels on interrupts are handled. Slot processor boards had the worst troubles but AMD dual Socket A boards were, are, notorious for issues. In some cases EVERY open socket needed a blank.
You ever find a complete AMD Game X computer for under $100 it’s pure money. Blank processor, blank ram, gold terminators on every scsi port, blank IDE and EAT boards. You’ve got around $100 in fingers and pins alone. And the shields are a palladium alloy grounded with silver wire.

Considering at the time 512MB ram cost thousands and 256 was the same price, most SysOps chose a single stick and a $20 blank rather than spending twice as much on two sticks for the same amount of memory.