Welcome to Boardsort™ - Learn - Sell - Profit -

Learn to properly Sort, Sell, and Profit from your electronic scrap material.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:59 am

Post subject: Can they make Telco
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:34 am 

Don't think they make telco as is. Can I remove display and small transformer to make telco?

Attachments:
IMG_20180820_002545.jpg
IMG_20180820_002545.jpg [ 1.05 MiB | Viewed 4185 times ]
IMG_20180820_002649.jpg
IMG_20180820_002649.jpg [ 1.23 MiB | Viewed 4185 times ]

Post subject: Re: Can they make Telco
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:36 am 

And anything special about yellow Ic looking chips?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:54 am 

Another example. Display on reverse side.

Attachments:
IMG_20180820_005226.jpg
IMG_20180820_005226.jpg [ 1.07 MiB | Viewed 4181 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:55 am 

The little yellow chips that look like ICs are typically resistor packs, could also be filter capacitor packs or diode packs. I’m not an expert, but doubtful they’re ICs.

As to grading, not certain, still learning myself.

I’m sure Lost or someone else will be along soon to help out.

Those are great displays. Of all the displays we have at work, those are our favorite. Easily read from any angle, easily read in any light and last a long time. Good stuff.

I also thought I read a post from Lost a while back that some of those vacuum displays may have a semi precious metal grid inside. Maybe Lost could expound upon that when he replies to your grading question.

RFIII

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:34 pm 
Site Admin

The top one MAY clear telco without the display and transformer
The lower one is straight peripheral

The yellow guys are not ICs. As to what they actually are, I’d either need the schematic or some time of testing myself.
Or you could smash ONE with a hammer after cutting/ripping it off the board and posting a shot of the remains. Lol.

Yes those displays have a semi- or precious metal screen in them. As I’ve said elsewhere though, it’s not something most people should be trying to go after to remove. The glass never breaks the way you’d think it would. =deep nasty cuts. The screens often have a tiny amount of toxic gas inside. Fluoride and Xeon are the most common. Old enough you may find a hydrogen fluoride mix, toxic and explosive. Not fun. And even though you won’t be going all Hindenburg with one something as minor as a pilot light from a water tank or furnace WILL combust it, inperspectively, so now you’re looking at a breathing a hazardous gas in the house. Yuck. The glass is often leaded, but rarely lead glass. Often actually another heavy metal + lead mix. so not only are you slicing your hands open the metals get into your blood stream and you turn purple and don’t die to such an extent you wish you would die.
So yes, there’s a chance you get some money from the net screen inside but if any ONE of the many thousands of errors or mistakes or dumb bad luck arise, your hospital bills are NOT covered.
Oh, and any later than the mid-late 70s there’s a good chance the screen is actually just nickel. doh!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:30 pm 

Wow! I have accumulated about a 1 gal jug of those displays as I wasn’t exactly sure what to do with them. Now I realy don’t know what to do with them.

We don’t scrap in our house, built a shop away from the house specifically for said task. Not everything we bring home comes from a clean office building. All kinds of creepy crawly critters can reside inside almost anything one brings home. Not to mention any noxious stuff one may inadvertantly release whilst scrapping something “new”!

Should I toss the displays in our shred pile? Some of the grids do have a golden color to them. Not interested in the cool gasses though. Zoiks...

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:08 pm 

So use my heat gun to loosen the epoxy on the display to get them apart? Lol jk. Just planing on snipping the pens and discarding, but like Rusty asked what is a good/safe way to discard them? Once again I appreciate everyone's info. Especially the part where I don't die a horrible "Barney purple" death. Lol

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:31 pm 

As requested for all the help. I have some that are black not yellow. Would they be the same chips?

Attachments:
IMG_20180820_212855.jpg
IMG_20180820_212855.jpg [ 656.56 KiB | Viewed 4145 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:53 pm 
Site Admin

Ohkay that was intended to be as over the top 1950s education scare film as I could pull off. Things have to go every possible way of sideways to turn purple.

In reality I break them from time to time myself. They are vacuum sealed so they implode; in real world terms on side on one end usually cracks off.
My point was there’s a growing number of refiner-curious over the past few months. This is a lost cause.
they really DO make nasty cuts though
Ask your yard if they take them. Many will; a few hundred pounds of these could make a commercial recovery profitable so it’s quite possible they’re interested, even if only shred or no value at all.
If you have a few hundred pounds try calling some of the larger refineries.
If not most electronics shops have a used gear drop.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:55 pm 
Site Admin

Bulldog2134 wrote:
As requested for all the help. I have some that are black not yellow. Would they be the same chips?

Uh, I didn’t actually expect you to do that. Lmao.
I see copper, what is likely a base metal frame. My guess is a capacitor off hand. Or a low power resistor but I’m leaning with capacitor here.
Probably copper and germanium.

Nope. No guarantees that they are the same. Even the same to each other in the same colours. The square is called a package. Packages are standardised.
What’s inside a package could be any of dozens of things. ICs, resistors, capacitors, micro transformers, fuses, shunts, breakers, terminators, ...!