Welcome to Boardsort™ - Learn - Sell - Profit -

Learn to properly Sort, Sell, and Profit from your electronic scrap material.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:29 am

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:21 pm 

Gold flashing on the wires but also small connectors on the ends that are gold. If I snip the ends, would the wire with flashing go as gold finger? Can the whole thing go in finger? Best plan of action here.

I've got a few examples

https://imgur.com/a/aCQWuCU

Also, any chance that component (crystal oscillator?) Is gold?

Are those correctly cleaned up for dlp?
Other random pieces...gold connectors?

What are these black squares on hard drive actuator? Very reflective. Can this go as ic?

Lastly, anyone have luck selling vacuum tube fuses on ebay for recovery?

Off topic: are rf in boards on tv boards, the ones full of cmcs mccs on back midgrade or better? Or does that metal shielding soldered on it bring it to low grade

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:07 pm 
Site Admin

The “flat wire” connector ENDS can go with gold fingers.
The rest of the in wire gold flashing is a different material makeup and I’ve always put it in gold pin connectors when cleanly trimmed.

Unfortunately the wire and ribbon “boards” are simply mixed wire. No the little circles don’t count as gold finger rate.

Yes that’s gold and yes they buy them and no it’s not on the quote form. Email Chris for instructions. Basically you’ll need to send them in and have the gold scanned to find its value and materials makeup and they will pay accordingly

Those little guys go as IC. I’ve begged; no result. Still ICs.

Cameras and speakers like that have gold and can go in peripheral
The magnetic heads are low grade and Boardsort normally doesn’t take them anyway

Those tiny bits are ICs. You can pop them off and toss them in with ICs.
In fact you need to remove any component from ribbon wires before sending them in as wire anyway.
It disrupts the recycling process and too much junk components population can lead to a reduction in value of your wire shipment.
As long as you’re removing the ICs from the read arm, snip the actual read heads off too. They have a tiny speck of rhodium on them. (Search the threads for rhodium to find posts about it). Keep them in a small pull bottle. Boardsort has no interest; When you get a few ounces you can seek out a pawn shop, refinery, or jewellery store that may be interested in buying them at a breakage rate.

Invisible doors are AWESOME. That would seriously mess with my head!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:00 pm 

I'll read it thoroughly in time.

What about the rf boards attached to the low grade tv boards. Better to just take off the mccs?

I took a huge break from all this stuff. Lately, it's really a stress reliever messing with this stuff.

In case u wanted an update with American scrap metal, still terrible place

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:20 pm 
Site Admin

Live vacuum tubes yes.
Dead; no
But like television tubes and any other tube I simply smash the glass (and properly sort and recycle) and sell the remaining of the tube to my local yard as “electrical scrap” which is basically their highest cbm class.

Boardsort isn’t a refinery, and as far as I’m aware there is no refinery in their chain of buyers as a supplier. They have a destination for gold plated scrap but more exotic, and much more difficult to refine, stuff like CMCs are not considered in any valuation. Small RF boards tend to top out at midgrade with few exceptions.
The uproar for CMCs, much like the drive for Pentium Pro processors, are based on misinformation.

One thing you’ll see is ceramic CMC buyers on the Internet rarely last long. They set up a web page, get a few shipments that they over pay for, attempt to refine them and find they can’t even break even. They then flood Ebay with lots of 5-10 lbs of CMCs so they can get out before they loose any more money.

You need many thousands of lbs before values start to kick into them being of use.

If you want something of a how to, that’s realistic, try
Moose on YouTube. He’s one of the few honest ones who won’t step on the scale to save face. So to speak.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:16 pm 

Yeah I've been subbed to him for many years now. Very honest guy with little to no frills.

I currently have 10lbs of low grade that I separated out that have cmcs on them. Seems like you're suggesting to not harvest them.

Also, you're suggesting none of those components in the photo are dlp? I separated a few of them from that flat aluminum piece they were attached to

The gold...1 gold connector and 2,3 is gold finger? https://imgur.com/a/C4jkCbO

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:19 am 
Site Admin

I’ve been trying to get Chris to upgrade those little glass processors for years.
The company that takes dlps from them doesn’t consider them DLPs. Only the ones from the full sized DLP televisions and projectors. They’re just too small.
I go through a LOT of those photo sensitive processors, especially from cell phones.

The bottom line on CMCs is your after platinum, palladium, etc. There’s almost nothing of value to CMCs by weight. By the time you factor in the prices of acids, bases, sugar, electrical costs, weeks/months of having that hazardous mix cocktail sitting out; ... if you had 10 lbs of CMCs loose in a jar I’d be cautioning you against refining them.
Gold plate has just two steps. Burn (melt) the material in acid, chemically sort the gold.
From an escrap standpoint gold plate is rarely more than two materials is never more than 5. Gold, iron, nickel, and copper are the most common, occasionally tin if it’s plated brass and not plated nickel or copper.

They only chance you have with CMCs it to mill them first into a dust. Then you’re staging out removing the carbon, which bonds with hydrogen and platinum. Or you can go the hot sort route using potassium fluoride. And creates platinum calcite by adding calcium and hydrogen chloride. Which can then be refined to nearly pure platinum. And if you haven’t gotten it from my shoddy science lesson I’ve no idea of a good way to do it.
I’ve been told by two hobby refiners I trust on opposet ends of the earth, main and Australia, that it’s not worth it.

All said, you can always turn to the gold refiners forum. You need to register to access any of the boards though.
My experience with the GRF is spotty. There’s a wealth of good information from a tiny group of knowledgeable people. But do your own research into the general chemical concoctions the boards list. Intelligence must be sorted from the random stupidity. I’ve seen comments suggesting adding potassium nitrate to heated hydrogen sulphur chloride which is a literal recipe for calamity. In the most unfunny cartoon of ways. And other such nonsense. Nonsense gets taken down quickly, but it’s an issue to be warned of. Beyond that it’s really a treasure chest of information when it comes to refining.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:15 pm 

I've got no intention of doing my own refining of any 'commodity'. As interesting as it would seem I just don't get enough material to make it worth it for me.

See u harvest all components on low grade boards right? I don't i just take off simple things like fuses, crystal ocs, larger transistors, ics, and the usual copper bearing coils inducers transformers.

I tried in the past depopulating low grade but the fumes....risk vs gain. Risk management right... plus splashing solder. Surface mount was easy but I couldn't perfect the wines through the board.

I'm just debating if I should take off cmc components off of low grade boards. And then selling em on ebay but it seems like a no.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:03 pm 
Site Admin

Ebay May be an option if you’re up for it.
They do seem to sell, for some reason.

I no longer reflow anything for scrap. I simply snip off components or target heat spots that have a lot of stuff worth the effort.
Ceramic resistors that are large enough to do easily. Glass fuses only because I do some repair and refurb and pile up lots of them. Sorted by fuse metal they can pay out well. Obviously I send all my ICs to Boardsort. Any tripod package components with a brass or copper back. Plastic shell ones in one bucket, ceramic shell ones in another.
Then large transformers. I cut a deep square around it with a knife, line the board up on top of two vices and wack the transformer with a hammer. Usually breaks out well enough. If not I say some bad words and toss the board in the shred bin.
Basically beyond transformers if it’s big enough to crap with my robogrip slip jaws or the pin/pegs are long enough I can slide a nail/screw trimmer under it it’s coming off.
I use a medium duty hunter’s knife for cutting ICs off. Just a single pass through the pins takes most off easily.

My trademark phrase is a running gag. I blow myself up so you don’t have to.
I make some fairly dangerous mistakes through trial and error but never twice. My constant push for Ryobi tools not withstanding, their 2 fase electric heat gun is the best I’ve ever used. Set to #2 at 900• is perfect for depopulation. But as you pointed out the fumes... just not worth it to me anymore.