Welcome to Boardsort™ - Learn - Sell - Profit -

Learn to properly Sort, Sell, and Profit from your electronic scrap material.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:37 am

Post subject: Remove battery?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:18 pm 

Lost,

I have this HP circuit board which I am going to keep for posterity. No intent to have it destroyed for the recovery of gold.

Question - In one of the corners is a pink, Lithium battery. Should I leave it attached and risk leakage, fire etc? Or is that an possibility?

Would removing the battery decrease value of the board, if any?

I just don't want to burn down my shop for the sake of posterity!

I also included a few photographs of a processor you may find interesting. I have no idea what type/kind it is. And again, I'm not going to have the boards destroyed for gold recovery. Let me know what you think.

And yes, I keep all of the PCBDs I'm not going to send in for gold recovery in ESD bags in a tote away from harm. Still trying to figure out a way to have some of the boards mounted for safe display.

I have not yet unscrewed the heat sinks to see what's on the other side of the processors. Is that something I should consider doing as well?

Enjoy,

RustyFuryIII

Attachments:
IMG_8655.JPG
IMG_8655.JPG [ 1.56 MiB | Viewed 2587 times ]
IMG_8654.JPG
IMG_8654.JPG [ 1.54 MiB | Viewed 2587 times ]
IMG_8653.JPG
IMG_8653.JPG [ 1.67 MiB | Viewed 2587 times ]
IMG_8652.JPG
IMG_8652.JPG [ 1.65 MiB | Viewed 2587 times ]
IMG_8647.JPG
IMG_8647.JPG [ 2.11 MiB | Viewed 2587 times ]
IMG_8646.JPG
IMG_8646.JPG [ 2.18 MiB | Viewed 2587 times ]
IMG_8622.JPG
IMG_8622.JPG [ 2.82 MiB | Viewed 2587 times ]

Post subject: Re: Remove battery?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:00 pm 
Site Admin

The gold squares are RSiCs controllers. Manufactured by USM, among others.
Fairly unique code set; combining RISC and CISC with an interpreter.
Of a historical note this was the same premise of the Sega Saturn. Distributed multi processing within a single pipeline.
Really nifty side trip in computer history. It didn’t work then and it didn’t work in the 90s either when Sega tried. The premise is sound and obviously it can be made to work; but nobody could code for them.

I would suggest removing the battery. They rarely fail in any dangerous display but do destroy the board when they go.
I’ve lost a few 8 bit computers over the years from them giving up.

Try a hobby store or frame shop. Mounting frames called shadow boxes work great for PCBs.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:12 pm 

Lost,

Thank you for the info.

Who is/USM?

I’m having a hard time digging up info on vintage HP electronic components. Any ideas? PDF files etc?

Do you think I’d get any more info from the RISC/CISC controller from under the heat sink? Doesn’t look like I’d damage anything by removing one or two.
Going to give it a whirl when I get home anyway!

I’ll check out the hobby stores for shadow boxes. I’d like to find one with LED back lighting. I’ve seen a few youtube videos where the flourescent tubes from flatscreen displays are used. Looks like a fun project anyway.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:06 pm 
Site Admin

USM =US Manufacturing
As far as I know they went out of business. They were a short order fabricator. Did stuff for HP, Toshiba, Texas Instruments. Usually small runs for prototyping as with Texas Instruments. They also did the knock off chips for some apple II clones.

RISC is reduced instruction set, CISC being complex...,
Wikipedia has a few dozen interlinked articles on the various applications of the two. HP, IBM, and Intel all played with systems that used both. HP, Sony, and Sega all managed to use multi chip single interface implementations. HP as listed, Sega with the Saturn and AM series arcade systems, Sony with the Cell systems.
The premise is nice on paper. You can do repetitive stuff on a RISC with no overhead as that’s what it’s best for. RISC is actually the more complex to write for as well, I’m not sure how to easily explain it.

The best shot on understanding how impractical the design of combining both is can be seen by looking up any of the open source Saturn games and reading through the source code. It’s a beast to develop for properly and, commercially, why most Saturn games looked like crap outside of in-house. Most developers targeted one or the other processor and left it at that; undercutting the platform who’s specs remain (albeit low end entry), acceptable in today’s advanced world.
Weird stuff.

For lighting you could pick up case lighting from a computer shop and some parts for a switch from an electrical store; and rig up a system to run it off a watch battery.