Welcome to Boardsortâ„¢ - Learn - Sell - Profit -

Learn to properly Sort, Sell, and Profit from your electronic scrap material.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:01 am

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:12 pm 

hey guys how are you today, i am new to E scraping and i was wondering if anyone can give me ideas or how to's on scraping laptops and desktops? what should i keep and what should i bring to my scrap yard?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 1:06 pm 
Reputable Seller

The best resource on scrapping electronics I have seen is the Mike the Scrapper channel on Youtube. Mike has done a couple plugs for boardsort in his videos, but he also has one on identifying board types. Depending on where you are located, many of your lower grade boards can be sold to your local scrap dealers who buy e-waste. If nobody in your area buys e-waste, you can look up a more recent video made by Mike the Scrapper on harvesting the metals and IC chips off lower grade boards and only selling the IC chips to boardsort while selling the metals to your local scrap dealers.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 12:08 am 

In my opinion, laptops are not worth the effort. I just remove the memory sticks and sell whats left to any number of buyers for .80 - $1.50 per pound. Send me a PM for more info.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 8:05 am 
Site Admin

I've yet to find anything below midgrade in a laptop.
The real question is what is your time worth. The more you do it the faster and easier it gets.
5 years ago i would take down a laptop in about an hour. Today they take less than 10 minutes.
What you often find is a ain board. 1-4 ram cards. A wifi adapter or network /modem card.
On higher end models you may have a separate video card and a replaceable cpu board.
Then you have the drives and screen.

The first thing to do is look up the value of the laptop. Even damaged or totally dead they're probably worth more as a whole unit.
If you break it down look up the part numbers
.working drives and components are often sought after.
Proprietary parts will be worth more than easily exchangeable ones.
eBay should always be your first choice for current values. After searching use the refine option to see sold items only for real sales value.
The hard drive exchange is another option for working parts.
Then Finally Boardsort buys everything in a laptop.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 9:16 pm 

lostinlodos wrote:
I've yet to find anything below midgrade in a laptop.
The real question is what is your time worth. The more you do it the faster and easier it gets.
5 years ago i would take down a laptop in about an hour. Today they take less than 10 minutes.
What you often find is a ain board. 1-4 ram cards. A wifi adapter or network /modem card.
On higher end models you may have a separate video card and a replaceable cpu board.
Then you have the drives and screen.

The first thing to do is look up the value of the laptop. Even damaged or totally dead they're probably worth more as a whole unit.
If you break it down look up the part numbers
.working drives and components are often sought after.
Proprietary parts will be worth more than easily exchangeable ones.
eBay should always be your first choice for current values. After searching use the refine option to see sold items only for real sales value.
The hard drive exchange is another option for working parts.
Then Finally Boardsort buys everything in a laptop.

Exactly what he said. What is your time worth. Look at how much you are going to be getting, and how much time/shippnig it will take to get that. Are you worth a penny an hour or 300 bucks an hour? all depends on how much you value your time really. Wasting 3 hours on a laptop for 10 bucks is 3 bucks an hour.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 3:42 am 
Site Admin

I believe the bottom line is the differences between recycling
Sorting some board... tossing in a box and off to Chris they go.
Vs
Scrapping.
In both cases the more you do it the faster you get.
But with scrapping you're getting inside stuff.
Take a dead paperweight laptop you grab curb-side. Ebay says $5. Chris says $5.
Start stripping it down turns out you just got a dead power relay.
Now you have $100 in parts and another 2-5 from chris.
But the more you do it... i can strip a toughbook in about 15 minutes. (15 years exp)
So the same issue nets me $200 in parts $10 in high grade material from Chris and another $5 from the scrap yard.
The ONLY way to learn is to so. if the education is interesting to you... no doubt strip away. Match up power ports... test stuff out. Learn.
$215 for 20 minutes work total is really good pay in any country.
Day one may take you hours and get you $10.
But a few weeks...months...years.!
I now BUY broken tech and make a good profit 75-80% f the time.

As a side note it also is a HUGE help to get friendly with a large volume ferromagnetic buyer. One with large volume. I use one that now pays me for sorted plastics, glass, paper!
And were talking pounds not tonns.
The largest yard you can find.... the volume of "crap" mixed in with the low value stufd is still sorted and sold by them. So a dozen lbs of abs and a hundred lbs of manuals isn't an issue for them to pay a few pennies a pound.