Welcome to Boardsort™ - Learn - Sell - Profit -

Learn to properly Sort, Sell, and Profit from your electronic scrap material.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:41 am

Post subject: Shipping question
PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 1:32 pm 

I have a box of gold finger PC cards but I have too many to fit in the box unless I remove the mounting brackets on some of the cards. If I remove the bracket but ship it in the same box as the card will it all be calculated together or would the brackets be counted separately, resulting in a lower payout?

Post subject: Re: Shipping question
PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:16 pm 

Very interesting question, I am not a moderator but I think if you remove the bracket you actually upgrade the board resulting in a higher pay per pound but less weight. They would probably give you a higher payout without the bracket and just choose to not have the steel included in the box, however every e-scrap buyer seems to not mind the bracket that way they don't have to pay as much. It only takes seconds to take out the bracket so my guess is that its worth the labor for them to do the upgrading themselves. This is business so if I put myself in the buyers shoes I would say, you can remove the metal bracket and be able to fit more boards and be able to send more weight however I pay you just the same. I wonder what they will suggest :)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 3:09 am 
Site Admin

Boardsort typically pays the same with or without mounting brackets. There's no padding in the price either like some other cos (eg w/brackets 30¢ reduction )

If your talking 50, 100... 1000 lbs im sure you can call and work something out but don't expect too much play in prices @ 5 10 or 25lbs.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 2:10 pm 

Thank you very much for the answer. That will make fitting them in the flat rate boxes easier.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 12:17 am 

Ok. So is it ok to remove the brackets and ship them in the same box or not? This would be a great way to ship more and still not lose any money from the weight of the bracket. What does board sort have to say. I've sent an email but have yet to get a reply back.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 11:04 am 
Site Admin

Boardsort usually deals with email in bulk on Monday and Thursday in my experience.

I have no idea what they would do in a case Like yours. Sorry. Let us know what they say.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 4:19 pm 

I'm pretty sure if you separate the bracket from the card and send it in they will not give you extra... The idea of removing the bracket is to help cut down on shipping volume for the sender.

I would also disagree about the benefit to them of removing the bracket... They deal in gaylord boxes full of thousands of cards in a box. When they send this material to refiners, they pay a flat rate per pound of material being refined... I would be highly surprised if the cost is more that $1/pound. So if you pay someone to remove $100 to remove 20lbs of brackets from a box, you would have spent more on the labor than the the $20 cost of refining them.

That being said, if you have a large amount of cards (like 100lbs or so) that you have removed the bracket from, they may very well be wiling to pay more per lb if you ask them.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 6:35 pm 
Site Admin

mls26cwru wrote:

my thoughts exactly. Any quality recovery/refinery knows yeald rates and accounts for steel (iron, carbon, nickel) in the buy rate, as does boardsort. But if you have 100/1000 lbs etc you may be able to work something since it's enough to warrant keeping separate. A single flatrate box is going to wind up in the gl with all the rest. With/without brackets.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:55 pm 

I think the safe way to go would be to assume any brackets removed would not be weighed together with te cards you have removed them from and don't bother shipping them at all. If I'm not mistaken it sounds like this is the original question? Steel attached to the cards will end up in the gl box with all the cards mixed. But a handful of brackets that are loose in your shipment box will not. It's not worth adding loose steel weight to the box going to the refinery, and I doubt boardsort is in the business of buying for $2.90 and selling for $.02. rather shotty business plan. Decide for yourself. But it's my thought that leaving the brackets on, fitting whatever you can in your box, and saving whatever you can't for the next load is the best way to go. Removing the brackets might fit more cards but without them I'm willing to bet your final weight and in turn your final payout will be less.