Welcome to Boardsortâ„¢ - Learn - Sell - Profit -

Learn to properly Sort, Sell, and Profit from your electronic scrap material.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:16 pm

Post subject: Ceramic chip capacitors
PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 3:59 pm 

Is there any scrap value in ceramic chip capacitors? I have a couple pallets, maybe 3K-5K pounds total in packing of reels and boxes so I'm not sure what the weight would be of just the capacitors.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 4:25 pm 
Site Admin

If you're talking about ceramic monolithic capacitors yes.
You'll need to email Chris directly to work something out.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 11:02 pm 

If you can post a picture of what you are talking about, that would be helpful. If what you are talking about is the tan cube-like things, then yes they are capacitors. If what you are talking about is the wafer-like rectangles with a number on one side of a white ceramic matrix, then it is a ceramic chip resistor. these also have value.

Either way, they would have to be taken out of their reels for a refiner to think about buying them. weather or not Boardsort requires them in or out of the reel I do not know.

I thought I read somewhere that they do not take items like this, but I could very well be wrong. If you find out, please post and let us know what they say :)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 10:55 am 
Site Admin

The yellow ones are tantalum. I don't believe boardaort buys them but ask. I could be wrong.
That said they are a recovery metal. Some scrap yards will buy them... especially in that kind of quantity. National average is $3-5/lb.

The silver grey reverse Oreo CMCs have palladium in them. Again in that kind of quantity you're better looking local but those go about 15-25/lb depending on how well they're sorted (no ceramic resistors). I've seen postings here and there on scrap forums of people pulling off as high as $50/lb but i believe that is questionable at best.

Attachments:
File comment: Oreo CMCs for palladium
p_1.jpg
p_1.jpg [ 9.56 KiB | Viewed 8371 times ]