Welcome to Boardsort™ - Learn - Sell - Profit -

Learn to properly Sort, Sell, and Profit from your electronic scrap material.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:12 am

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 2:43 pm 

I don't have a gazillion of these yet, but pretty damn close. Outside of the steel frame keeping the various layers of plastics and films together, there is nothing left for me to easily recycle.

Do you buy these?

Attachments:
IMG_20190124_120732.jpg
IMG_20190124_120732.jpg [ 732.76 KiB | Viewed 13348 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:00 pm 
Site Admin

Boardsort does not. Generally. (You can always email and ask, they take some strange things here and there).
However, there’s a gazillion buyers on the internet. ;)
Just google or bing for “sell used lcd) or the like. Some have free shipping but lower value payouts. Others pay much more but you must ship yourself.

Myself, I’ve found that breaking them down even further is profitable.
The bare lcd screen to screen buyers. The various metallic plastics can be sold to an x-ray and film buyer. Who also tend to buy things like keyboard Mylar as well. The steel, stainless, or aluminium shell. Etc.

I’m no longer willing to back a secondary buyer for screens. Management and owners change enough. Some are great. Some are shady. Starting out it is often best to use a lower value paid shipping service till you figure out something that works for you. That way even if you get totally screwed you know that you still got it recycled easily.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:31 am 

Lost,

A couple of questions regarding your response. As I too am beginning to get a pile of fully disassembled LCD screens.

1) The metalic plastic sheets you said X-Ray and film people buy. What exactly are those metallic plastic sheets called? Or, are they called metallic plastic sheets?
I know there are at least three different sheets per screen in some cases. Are those bought individually?

2) The glass LCD screens. You said there are buyers. About half of the screens I have are broken, hence the reason I wound up with them. And all of them are completely useless as I've removed all of the flat/ribbon wire that is/was attached to the sides. Are there still buyers for the broken completely useless screens? I'm stacking them, want them recycled, but who buys them in this condition?

Thank you,

RustyFuryIII

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 1:37 pm 
Site Admin

Those plastic sheets all have some element in them. Silver, tin. Etc.
What individual one is on what, beyond my personal education or care.
Aluminium silver tone and iridium are the ones I know of.
I sell them to film buyers. Old xray ‘films’ run $30-$50 per pound right now. But stuff like monitor sheets and Mylar run in the $10 range. Hit the internet and make some phone calls. You’re looking for X-ray, medical, film/negative, buyers. Etc.
Due to weights, usually best to sell this stuff locally if you can.
I sort them into 3 piles. Hold the sheets up in front of a light bulbs. See the bulb, pile A. See a light blur or nothing through it, pile b.
Mylar gets it’s own low value pile.
The solid white sheet on the outside, is the only one with no metal in it. Just drop those in your grocery store bag collection. It’s HDPE.

Working and with wires screens (the glass) start at $5 and run to the low 20s for monitors and TVs. Tablet screens can get into that range as well. Phablet phone screens like recent galaxy or iPhones can get more.
Broken, as in cracked or missing wires, they run around $1-$25 each depending on size. With broken ones look up ‘buy broken LCD’. Chose one you’re comfortable with.
Companies that buy this stuff though generally tend to ONLY buy this stuff. So shy away from and company that also buy other scrap to get a refinery and not a middle-man recycler.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 2:51 pm 

Lost, are your figures correct for x-ray film? $50-60 I have never seen a price more than a couple dollars when I go online. I have a couple hundred pounds of lithographic dark film, but those who advertise seem to only offer to haul it off for free.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 3:26 pm 
Site Admin

I’m not sure where the top out is at the current time. But I just pulled $18 for just over a pound last week.
That’s a local regular user rate though, I believe. Couple of sites have $15, $22, $9. Most don’t post a rate though.
The higher end prices target medical fields and film companies. 10 pounds is not going to get you much in a rate. 500lbs will push that number up quickly.
Refiners need tons per process to make refining profitable when labour is added in to value extraction so with data retention and destruction laws causing storage issues, most companies aren’t too keen on paying high on small orders.
They’re out there though if you seek them out.

It’s also not something I sell often since it takes a while to get weight and I almost never have xrays. My wide spread is based on that being somewhat historical.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:00 am 

RustyFuryIII wrote:
Lost,

A couple of questions regarding your response. As I too am beginning to get a pile of fully disassembled LCD screens.

1) The metalic plastic sheets you said X-Ray and film people buy. What exactly are those metallic plastic sheets called? Or, are they called metallic plastic sheets?
I know there are at least three different sheets per screen in some cases. Are those bought individually?

2) The glass LCD screens. You said there are buyers. About half of the screens I have are broken, hence the reason I wound up with them. And all of them are completely useless as I've removed all of the flat/ribbon wire that is/was attached to the sides. Are there still buyers for the broken completely useless screens? I'm stacking them, want them recycled, but who buys them in this condition?

Thank you,

RustyFuryIII

Its the best type because of the things you are making the effort

Last edited by lostinlodos on Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
remove spam

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 4:09 pm 

Am I just that bad a googling? All the LCD buyers I can find out buy the ones from smartphones. Anybody able to link me to some directly?

I’ve got a bunch of old laptop screens in perfect condition and frankly I just don’t want to deal with the hassle of selling them individually on eBay but don’t wan to just junk them either.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 6:47 pm 
Site Admin

Caution: as with most internet based recycling turnover in staff and ownership is quick, and often. So look at ratings and reviews as well.
Caution: most people don’t post reviews for ANY product or service unless they’re driven to do so by extreme events. Take lone bad reviews, especially in tech and recycling, with a truckload of salt. It’s usually not that bad. Take race reviews equally cautiously.
If they have 100 railings and are above 70% you’ve probably got a keeper.
https://www.lcdscreenrecycling.com/
Has been around for a while. You can call them.
Otherwise try bing
we buy lcd tv screens
Most companies want you to call and just because it’s not on the page doesn’t mean they won’t take it.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:37 am 

@lost

I’ve talked to four companies - including the one you referenced - and none of them by laptop LCDs. Any other thoughts?