Welcome to Boardsort™ - Learn - Sell - Profit -

Learn to properly Sort, Sell, and Profit from your electronic scrap material.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:04 am

Post subject: FedEx rates
PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 11:04 am 

It’s been a while since I’ve sent a shipment in but have finally accumulated enough to log up a 70lb box (which is what I always ship)...

went into my fedex account and the rates have more than doubled to ship to boardsort. Any ideas what could be going on?

Last time this happened my card on file expired but that isn’t the case anymore. I believe the account was previously set up piggybacking off of an eBay discount or something? (I remember @lost posting it here and that’s how I set it up)

Post subject: Re: FedEx rates
PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 11:52 am 

Ugh found my answer....FedEx changed the max rate to avoid an additional handling surcharge for 70lbs down to 50lbs!! Which basically means I’d be shipping 20lbs less material for the same cost I used to shop 70!! Ugggghhh this is a dealbreaker for me. Anyone have other suggestions?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 5:35 pm 

I've heard that going through stamps.com would get you some sort of discounted rate... I'm wondering about shipping options myself.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 10:07 am 

A while back, I ran across a delivery option that I have not tried, and have even forgotten what it is called. In this scenario, you sign on, mention what you have that needs to be delivered, the destination city, and people who are traveling to that area in your time frame offer to deliver your item/s for a mutually negotiated price. It seems that a lot of these transport agreements concerned moving pets, or birthday cakes or one piece of furniture: small items that might not ship well, or items the commercial carriers charge to much to deliver.
Depending on where you live, you may wish to check out the Post Office zone rates. I'm not sure if there are any savings on heavy boxes, but there may be a noticeable savings over the regular flat rate charges, if the item is going into adjacent zones. However, you must have an account online to use zone price from the post office...the local window cannot apply it

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 1:43 pm 
Site Admin

I have a stamps account. If you ship enough the monthly fee is more than offset in the discounts.

For one time shippers:
PayPal is probably the best for postal shipping. On the desktop site log in. Click past the we love you buy our products Page. Usually a loan offer.
On the main page top centre tools->multi order shipping.
PayPal is a few percent lower than click-n-ship.
Stamps is lower than both but has a monthly fee.

I’m not sure what I’m going to do myself now. I was dependant on FedEx and their multi box rates. I’m still looking for my own answer.

Postal regional rate boxes are far less costly in the same region or one over than any other offer for USPS. But most motherboards won’t fit in a region rate box.
And good luck getting them. They don’t carry them at local post offices so you need to create a USPS/click-n-ship account online. Then you can order them (for free) from the store under packaging.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:12 pm 

I was able to find an LTL (less than truckload) to take a pallet around 700lbs for around $300 from Florida to OH. For larger loads it might be worth lookin at that.

Also, I believe a service mentioned above is uship.com

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 10:03 pm 

I believe the shipping option mentioned by meowpher is roadie, an app based option that offers the options he mentioned, I seen it used heavily for local store to customer delivery, mostly Walmart and home Depot, but I've looked into it and it seems promising, especially because unlike a lot of services there doesn't need to be a transaction involved to arrange pickup (most app based delivery services can only pick up items where a retailer is handling a transaction, think pickup counter at home Depot , but roadie is set up to arrainge pickup from individuals) idk how the pricing cross country is, or if you could find a driver that would do the trip

Another option Ive looked at but can't (as an individual) seem to sign up as a shipper is Uber freight

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 11:03 pm 
Site Admin

uShip is a common option of the same design.
I was a uShipper for a time. They ran eBay site adverts for a while and have even been on tv shows.
The service, all other things aside, is extremely popular with the tech and game collector’s markets. Especially for Mini Computers and Arcade Machines.
It’s basically like you post what you have and a bunch of drives bid down to the lowest rate someone will take your shipment from A to B.
All drivers are licensed and insured.
You can send a loaf of bread across town or 80tons across the country.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 7:05 am 

I didnt respond but 700 lbs from fl to oh is a bit expensive