Welcome to Boardsort™ - Learn - Sell - Profit -

Learn to properly Sort, Sell, and Profit from your electronic scrap material.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:10 am

Post subject: Drop off's
PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:47 am 

I live in eastern PA, too far away to make a drop off, so i always ship my boards in. My wife is actually from Ohio and her family still lives in eastern OH. The reason im bringing this up is, we do drive over to OH once in a while. I would love to schedule a drop off sometime.

I want to figure out if this is something doable. What is the drop off address and would i be able to schedule a drop off on the weekend? We are actually driving over this Friday, 4/19, and will be in eastern OH for this weekend.

Post subject: Re: Drop off's
PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:32 pm 
Site Admin

Call them and ask.
Telephone Number:
440-497-0222

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:01 pm 

lostinlodos wrote:
Call them and ask.
Telephone Number:
440-497-0222

Will do. Thank you.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:08 pm 

Flyersmike, I am assuming you have a job so that you are not free to go at whim. I am "retired", so by my calculations, I come out ahead by delivering my loads rather than shipping, but considering that most of our recyclers have jobs, it would not be profitable to miss work. Here is how I figure it.
1. Free to go when I have a load and Boardsort gives the OK. I count it as a sightseeing trip: hopefully some day I will actually bring in a load when I haven't made previous commitments that require quick turnaround.
2. Gasoline and eats cost about the same as shipping a normal load, probably a little less, BUT when delivering a load, I can add all the low and midgrade boards that wouldn't be profitable to ship, as well as the mixed wire., and whole harddrives and power supplies that I haven't wanted to strip. These bulky items will basically cover the expenses of the trip.
3. The bank up there has lollipops with the bank name imprinted on the wrapper, and when I tell them I have to drive 600 miles to get back home, they give me extra!!!
4. The distance for me is 605 miles one way. A lot of business travelers with fast cars claim they make the trip in 8 hours, but I generally take at least 14, with frequent stops, since I leave SE Tennessee around 6 PM for a night drive. With a couple hour break at a rest area about 60 miles out, I miss rush hour, and get unloaded and on my way before noon.
5. Since the guys unloading and checking the material actually know what they are doing, they will point out why some of the strange boards go in a particular category. While seeing a picture on the forum here, and seeing the identification, is good, it isn't quite as good as seeing the actual board and having it named. And as Lost mentions, getting an upgrade because of a little extra something on a board does feel good.
6. I collect rocks as a hobby, and each time, I tell myself I am going to spend about four extra days, stopping at some of the collecting sites I have heard about..Maybe next time...

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:29 am 

David Boring, yes. I do have a job or else i would love to be able to make the trip during the week. I called and was told this would only be available during the week, so im not able to do so this weekend.

I would love to be able to do this for multiple reason. Mainly because i would love to converse with the guys who have so much knowledge with these boards. My knowledge on boards is constantly increasing. Yes, i do this to make side money, but this is definitely a hobby as well. I would love to get further knowledge with what i turn in!

And yes, to save the money i spend on shipping. I just use UPS (through my dads autoparts shop, so i get very minimal discount) and pay per pound and box. This adds up very quickly. And yes, i dont even bother shipping the low and mid grade boards because of this cost issue. The low and mid grade boards, i just toss into my light iron pile for my local scrap yard.

Per MapQuest, im about 8 hours away, but i do hope to be able to make a drop off trip one day in the future. I never plan on stopping with the boards or Boardsort!

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 12:41 pm 

FlyersMike,

As a Rangers fan, I can't condone liking the Flyers...…
On a serious note, I've been either shipping to Boardsort or going in person on and off since 2013.
My drive is similar, 8 hours driving slow from the NY/MA border. I used to have a field service job that paid for my gas, so when I found myself in western PA, I would intentionally load up on material and make a detour to Eastlake, get paid before I went home and didn't spend anything for gas. Heck, even my lunches were reimbursed!
In subsequent years since switching jobs, I no longer have that luxury. When I decide to go in person, I figure gas and a hotel costs about 400 bucks for the trip, so I challenge myself and scrap my way to funding the trip; taking light iron, steel, aluminum, etc to the yard and just hanging onto the cash until I have enough to go. It doesn't take as long as one would think, and if you have a truck or van (I assume you do) and you're close to a yard, it's an easy way to fund your trip out there for relatively little work.

Jon

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 8:23 am 

Thearchivebooks,

LETS GO FLYERS!!!!
Thanks for the advise, but i actually already do that. I run a small side scrap metal business. I (and the guy i do it with) have a full time job, so i dont get all that many hours into it, but yes, scrapping does add up in cash very quickly if you do it in the correct way. I strip and separate everything i get, to make the most money out of it. Its just as much a hobby as it is side money for me.

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 8:30 am 

If you get a few hundred pounds and can put on a pallet or in a gaylord give me a call I might be able to save you a little money on shipping call me anytime 814-443-6389

Terry

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 9:07 am 

gorven wrote:
If you get a few hundred pounds and can put on a pallet or in a gaylord give me a call I might be able to save you a little money on shipping call me anytime 814-443-6389

Terry

Thanks, Terry! Will do. What if its for like 100-200 pounds?

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 9:12 am 

FlyersMike wrote:
gorven wrote:

Terry

Thanks, Terry! Will do. What if its for like 100-200 pounds?

I usually pay $30-$40 per 40-50 lbs box. I usually wait until i get 2 boxes worth to make a shipment. What would your price be for 2 boxes? And how about 3 boxes?